Notices

Howdy - 21 days

Old 03-07-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Howdy - 21 days

Hi,

Thought I'd introduce myself. It's Monday morning. I'm at work early, feeling pretty good. Man, that wasn't always the case.

A few weeks ago I had a pretty serious bender on Sunday night. Not the first time. Seems like Sundays are pretty hard. I think it's just the end of the weekend and facing all I have to do in the week ahead. A massive hangover didn't help anything. So I finally decided enough is enough.

Honestly, I didn't know how it would go. I told my wife, but no one else. I have been marking the days and hoping I would feel better. I didn't at first. It took a couple of weeks for my anxiety to die down a bit. It was a stressful time at work too. But I was never really tempted to have a drink. I think I'm pretty committed.

I've read that it takes 90 days to kind of get clear of the alcohol. I read a lot about what it does to the brain and how it alters the reward system. So I'm counting the days to that benchmark. Not that I intend to drink again after that. I just want a goal right now. It helps keep me motivated.

So, a little about me. Early 40s, been drinking too much for a little more than 15 years. I got a late start which I think is good in the long run. I didn’t start drinking until my mid 20s. Married, two kids- one in High School. Lots of alcohol issues on my mother’s side of the family. Two uncles and both her parents. My wife drinks but doesn’t seem to have a problem with it like I do. I’m a little nervous about her continuing to drink while I’m quitting. But so far it hasn’t been a problem. In the three weeks since I stopped, she’s bought wine twice. Since she drinks reasonably, she doesn’t drink a whole bottle in one night, so it will be there in the fridge. So far it hasn’t been a problem. Not even tempted. But I’m a little worried about that as things move forward. We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. We have made some rules though – no more than one normal sized bottle of wine in the house at a time. If I do have an issue, that should keep it from getting too bad. Even at my worst, I typically didn’t go out for more alcohol once I finished what was in the house. But I’d rarely leave a drop of anything. If we had a bottle of whiskey or something in the house, that could get bad.

Well, that’s quite a first post. Probably more than anyone wants to know. Reading some posts here has already been helpful, so just thought I’d introduce myself. Thanks for listening!

21 days down, and off to a good start on day 22!

Eddie
Old 03-07-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your new sobriety....

I lived alone so I kept my apartment a non drinking zone.
I've no experiences to share about your situation....
others will be along who do live with drinkers

All my best to you..our wife and children
Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 03-07-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Eddie,
Sounds like you are doing great. It will be great to reach different milestones. I am conscious every Friday, of another week down.:day6
Old 03-07-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome, Eddie. I also made a ritual out of drinking and overdoing it on Sundays. I don't know why. I'd fire up the grill, turn the Sunday night ball game on the radio...and drink. And drink. I'd get up for work, but I was worthless.

I'd say by 90 days you will have a good sense of what it feels like to go alcohol free. But depending on how heavy you drank, some symptoms linger for much longer. It is called PAWS--Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. Watch out. It can make you want to return to drinking as much as those early-in-recovery cravings.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Welcome Eddie2-

Congrats on your sober time and you'll find a lot of support here.

I would check out PAWS for sure. I'm almost 15 months sober and still suffer some of it's affects.

Also, you may find that a program is beneficial to your sobriety and when/if that time comes, you'll find a lot of support there as well.

Kjell
Old 03-07-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Eddie, sounds like you're being extremely honest with yourself. Sounds like a great first step
Old 03-07-2011, 10:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Eddie and congrats on your new sobriety.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great start on your sobriety. 38 days here. I live alone so I've removed (drank) all the liquor I had on Jan. 27th I don't even keep Nyquil in the house. LOL
You may want to consider removing your wifes wine. Just because.
Sometimes those cravings just sneak up for no reason at all.
She can buy those little 6 packs if she wants one -then there is no OPEN bottles in the house.
Sundays are a good day to drink but any day ending in Y worked for me. So be careful -good luck -and keep posting...it helps.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Location: Sevierville, TN - in the valley of the Great Smoky Mountains
Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
I don't even keep Nyquil in the house. LOL
Me either!! Or Listerine! I live by myself so it is easier for me. No drink/drug zone!! I have no experience either living with someone that still drinks or drugs, but I know when I visit someone else and I see those things that are triggers it starts my obsessive thinking. I have had a habit of even looking in people's medicine cabinets. I have to ask them to make sure it is out of sight and if drinking is involved I usually take that cue to leave.

I am currently working on the "no cabinet" hunting. Even if I don't plan on taking them - why go there? The sh!ts not mine and I have no business looking! Changing habits...
Old 03-07-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome and the info about PAWS. I did some google work on that. Very, very enlightening. Crazy what I've (and I guess you folks too) done to myself. It all seems so stupid now.

But I have little use for the past. Not even thinking about the future. Just enjoying right now. Nice to do my job without a headache. Nice not to close the office door just so I can close my eyes for a few minutes because night sweats kept me up all night. Nice to be thinking about what I'll do this weekend without scheduling a hangover for Saturday.

Longest I've gone without a drink in probably 17 years is 30 days. It will be interesting when that mile stone comes and goes.

Thanks everyone,

Eddie