Notices

What can i expect from treatment center or detox program

Old 03-06-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What can i expect from treatment center or detox program

What were your experiences when going? Is there a difference between 30 days treatment centers, intensive outpatient treatment, and detox centers besides the time? Is the recovery rate different among the places? What questions should ask and be how does one choose a place? Are there places for those w/out insurance? I hardly hear of anything about what they do and programs or systems and if they work like advertised.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I didn't use a detox or treatment centre, but I imagine that they vary from place to place with what they offer.

Ultimately it comes down to you as to whether they work or not. I hope you find one that works for you.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Indy, I did an IOP program. It was a great help in breaking down a of bunch prejudices that my problems were somehow unique. Once I got there, the common traits among people who use stuck out like a sore thumb. Exploring my stuff in an environment where no one would cosign my ca-ca was eye opening. From what I hear, IOP programs vary a lot depending on the counselor. If the guys in my group did not take it seriously, it would have been a waste of time for me. And it is a big time commitment, 3 hrs/night 3 nights a week for 3 months takes a chunk out of your life. So does drinking, so you won't hear any complaints from me.

It would have been darned expensive without insurance, even with just co-pays it was almost as much as I was spending on booze I don't think that there is anything in IOP I could not have got outside of it, but it was nice to have a recipe to follow and resources to use. It was pretty easy for me to get tipped over early on, I am sure I would have struggled more than I did without it.

Great question Indy. I have been wondering what was missing from my recovery over the past few weeks, and writing this helped point them out. I spent a lot of time and effort communicating with people I never would have before, and I kinda slid into my old isolating ways. SR can be a great resource, but it is not like picking up that 100 lb phone. Thank you.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I go to what I guess I'd call a 6 week outpatient treatment. I didn't have much of a choice as far as chosing where I went because there aren't many options closeby. And I didn't really do the question asking...they did. They first did an evaluation. I filled out questionaires on my use. Then they rate your usage. I was accepted into the program and because I lost my job/low income I am covered through the state.
I go 3 nights a week from 6-9pm then once a week I'm s'posed to see my counselor.
I love it and really look forward to going. We have a good time.
I haven't had any experience with any other ones...so that's all I have.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Detox is getting you safely off alcohol/drugs during acute withdrawal. More people die from alcohol withdrawal in the first 5-7 days off liquor than from all other drugs combined. My last detox was in the hospital ER.

Rehab is where you learn about yourself and your addiction, and ideally get armed to stay sober. You also learn that AA/NA is free.

There is a real good rehab place in NE Indianapolis called the Fairbanks Treatment Center. You should check them out. I actually worked there 20 years ago for about a month (before I became a candidate as a patient) on a temp job. They are really good.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks ya'all for the info.
dgills, Thanks! I'll look into there. I've heard of 2 week detox for alcohol but I dont know about opiates/subs.I recently took a friend who had relapsed to a center called Harbor Light. Ran by the Salvation Army. I know she doesnt have insurance. Thankfully i do. She's talking like she'll be there for at least a year and doesn't plan to come home., Sad, but I'm so grateful she's there. That got me thinking about me going cause the tapering has halted. I cant really go down much more. I feel stuck at a 1/8.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Location: Sevierville, TN - in the valley of the Great Smoky Mountains
I went to a 3-5 day detox and they kept me 6 days last June. They were very concerned for my well-being. I was coming off of painkillers and benzos. The benzos is what they were worried about. I was given comfort meds for the opiates and anti-seizure for the benzos. I was fed well, monitored 3x daily with blood pressure checks, had group sessions, and under suicide watch. Medical detox was they way for me this last time, especially with the work I was doing at the time.

I was sent home with mood stabilizers, night meds and anxiety meds - all non-narc, but still meds. I did eventually get off them 2 months later - especially since I relapsed on my sleep meds 3 weeks after detox.

I do have the awesome experience to see how IOP works for free. My shrink also holds IOP programs and asks me if I'd like to sit in on those after our sessions. This one concentrates on the same principles that NA/AA do, but the counselor strongly urges them to go to meetings since IOP is no substitute for the programs. It's a great reinforcement program to the fellowships. Since I've been sitting in sharing my experience in NA several of the IOP clients have started going to meetings.

Like what's been said - NA/AA are free programs. The IOP counselor is a STRONG supporter of the fellowships and allows us to hold our NA meetings 5 days a week in his center today. AA has a meeting there, too.

It is tough finding free centers, especially treatment and detox facilities, but they are out there. It just takes some digging and a lot of calling. There are a couple of them in TN, but they are few and in between. It's really turned into a profit industry today.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went to a 3-5 day detox and they kept me 6 days last June.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have to quit feeling like I'm alone and no one understands. Being in AA, chairing a BB meeting, and getting my 2 yr coin this week and still having this sub dependency is screwing me up mentally when it comes to feeling like I'm working the steps honestly. Even my doctor says dont mention the subs at meetings so I feel like I have this secret and no one understand my situation. Feeling unique is not good.