Notices

there is no doubt I am an alcoholic

Old 03-05-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

there is no doubt I am an alcoholic

I'm drinking as I type. I never had a problem with myself drinking until lately when I've gained 20 lbs from drinking and trying to sober up eating...
Old 03-05-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I think it's easy to substitute one addiction for another. I think that stopping drinking/eating or whatever it might be, is just the beginning. The hard work is looking inside and dealing with the parts of ourselves that we've been hiding from.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Do you want to stop drinking and live a sober life?
Old 03-05-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome...hope you can find answers here...not sure if you want to quit drinking or quit eating?
Old 03-05-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Do you have a plan to stop? We all need one.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm drinking as I type. I never had a problem with myself drinking until lately when I've gained 20 lbs from drinking and trying to sober up eating...

Kind of a short note..but what happened with me is I would NEVER want to eat -it would kill off the buzz. So that meant eating AFTER I got done drinking which could be anywhere from 11pm to 1AM. And then I would go for the nutrition factor. My best stand by was to grab a flour tortilla...mound shredded cheese on and then chili fritos on top. Nuke for 40 seconds ..roll ..and it is time to eat! Had to resort to that because I have made 5 course meals in a blackout...not sure how I didn't burn the house down. Point being...once I quit drinking I actually ate normal ...feel great..and the weight is still coming off. If you have to pick your poison..it is alcohol. Go for sobriety and other things start falling into place. That is my vote.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've woke up many a morning or afternoon and tried to figure out what the crazy looking leftovers on the stove are.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I hope this will be the time for you to find
a healthy sober future...

Welcome
Old 03-06-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your responses. I want to quit drinking and no, I have no plan. I too have woke up and looked in the oven saw a uneaten home made pizza, and other crazy leftovers. I want to be healthy again! I start drinking around two hours or so from waking up. It's one of the reasons why my marriage ended, I used to go out and drink with friends, but I say ONE of the reasons, we were very miserable with each other before my drinking. I am happy that I drove him away though, bad as that sounds. My dad drinks my brother drinks we all drink. I just wish I could have 2 beers and stop or glass wine and stop, but I just keep going, especially when I'm mad. Then I turn to an angry drunk. Sorry to ramble, I just want to give the full picture. Thank you for reading.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I just wish I could have 2 beers and stop or glass wine and stop, but I just keep going
Same here...... I could only control my drinking on rare occasions when I felt I had to. It's a vicious cycle, isn't it? I didn't realize until I got sober that alcohol was making me so irritable and anxious - everything was so much harder to deal with. Even the little things seemed like mountains.

I hope you can make this your time to begin a new life. You deserve it and you can do it...... Welcome to the family!
Old 03-06-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I feel like I can't deal with everyday things without beer. That's what makes me drink so early... I looked into AA's in my area and it just seems so religious or groupy, I'd rather see a counseler or something, I talked to my DR that I might be depressed, two different Dr's and each dismissed me...Self medicating with booze isn't working.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yuoonmklkki View Post
I feel like I can't deal with everyday things without beer. That's what makes me drink so early... I looked into AA's in my area and it just seems so religious or groupy, I'd rather see a counseler or something, I talked to my DR that I might be depressed, two different Dr's and each dismissed me...Self medicating with booze isn't working.
I thought that too. Outsiders do. But you know what? I am loving my meetings. Find a good women's meeting if you can. Try a few before you give up. Just sit and listen. You might change your mind. It is absolutely NOT religious. It's a spiritual process. I'm very inspired by the women in my groups. And fyi, I am only a little over a month sober. Hang in there and welcome.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I agree with inafishbowl. I just love the meetings at AA. Although they fall on the same night as my rehab sessions. The last time I went to AA I exlpained I wouldn't be here for 6 weeks. They were glad I was taking the measures I felt I needed to to continue my sobriety.
In rehab, the one guy asked me "You came here for yourself?" Meaning no court dates or DUI's. I said yes, its something I have to do for myself.
So long story short, do what YOU feel comfortable with. Otherwise you aren't only resisting your addiction but you'll resist others' ideas and help if you aren't happy. But give it another shot.
Good Luck. =)
Old 03-06-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I looked into AA's in my area and it just seems so religious or groupy
What exactly did you do to look into AA in your area? NYC even has AAAA - Atheists and Agnostics in AA - meetings. Unless you actually went to meetings, you didn't really look into it. JMHO.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I looked into AA's in my area and it just seems so religious or groupy, I'd rather see a counseler or something

That hasn't been my experience with AA. One of the advantages of AA over counseling is that AA meetings are available daily (and usually several times a day in various locations) and you can meet other recovering people. AA is also cheaper, we all throw a dollar in the basket at every meeting. If I were to attend an AA meeting everyday it would cost me $7.00 a week (and even that is optional).
Old 03-06-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh I guess I am scared right now, I started drinking at 14, I'm 33. I quit when I got pregnant, and it wasn't a struggle..I just was happy to be...after all the kids, and I got fed up with my marriage I went back to drinking... I'm making excuses, I know , I know me.. I will look into aa in my area, weekday. I just need a good kick n da butt
Old 03-07-2011, 03:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I looked into AA's in my area and it just seems so religious or groupy, I'd rather see a counseler or something

That hasn't been my experience with AA. One of the advantages of AA over counseling is that AA meetings are available daily (and usually several times a day in various locations) and you can meet other recovering people. AA is also cheaper, we all throw a dollar in the basket at every meeting. If I were to attend an AA meeting everyday it would cost me $7.00 a week (and even that is optional).
No, AA is actually free. Tossing a $ in the basket is optional. I personally toss $5 in because a) I can afford to and b) $5 was the cost of one drink for me at the bar. Poetic justice but if i was at the bar I would've spent $75-$100.