Facebook

Old 03-05-2011, 02:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Facebook

tells me things I shouldn't know.

My A dad got remarried in 2009, we'll call her L. L posted some things on facebook that bothered me (I admit that I went snooping tonight... I guess this'll teach me huh?!). I'm blocking her right now.

My A dad and L made a drinking game out of the Superbowl game a few weeks ago. My A dad had to drink a shot for every touchdown L's team made. L "doesn't drink" so she was exempt from the game. Her team won.

I'm baffled. Why? Why is it ok with her to watch my dad drink himself to death? And then laugh about it? I thought I enabled him... she's encouraging him! How is it fun/cool/entertaining/funny to watch your husband drink alone until he's "nearly gone?"

She posted three sentences and my heart sank when I read them. I am heart broken and angry. I know that it was his decision to drink, and that there is nothing I can do about it. I am just starting to get the feeling that he's playing with his life. He's been drinking for 35 years... As much as I am angry with my dad, I still care for him a great deal.

I had to get that out.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

That sounds awful, and quite underhanded.
Im sorry you are in such a situation. Thats really tough.

May i ask the end score, and what kind of alcohol was drank?

... and are you talking of a video game?
Old 03-05-2011, 07:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stimmed,

The Super Bowl here in the US.
I didnt watch, I lost interest after the Steelers won one for the thumb.
(superbowl ring)
Big, Big Big money spent on advertising (mostly alcohol products) during the game.
American Football.
Bleck.

Beth
Old 03-05-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stimmed,

The SuperBowl here is something like the World Cup, except only Americans play and typically, only Americans are interested. But business and social lives tend to grind to a halt.

The final score was Pittsburgh 25, Greenbay 31, but the scoring is odd in that a touchdown is worth 6 points. Pittsburgh scored 3 touchdowns and Greenbay scored 4 touchdowns (points are also made by kicking through a goal post, kind of like rugby).

I'm guessing, since the alcohol was consumed in "shots", it was some kind of hard alcohol (in the US, only hard alcohol is considered a "shot" - beer and wine would be in glasses or cans or some other unit). The game usually lasts 3 - 4 hours.

I think the point of the post was not how much was consumed or what kind of alcohol was consumed, but that the step-mother would encourage the father to drink at all, not only passively enabling, but actively encouraging the behavior.

Ginger
Old 03-05-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

@ Wicked

... i have watched 2 or 3 and found them entertaining, tho i didn't quite get the rules.
You're so right about the money aspect, and its a pity that thats the way it is.

@ Ginger

Sounds like a keen interest you have their! Thanks for the info' :-)
I got Cb12 point, but was just curious i guess.
I have played drinking games myself many years ago, and yes, shots were used also. Tho i only saw it at the time as quite rewarding (:-/)
I enquired just to be sure.

I read in a thread earlier today that someone was told by their GP, that 'alcohol is alcohol'. An important fact.
What crossed my mind reading the header, was that, someone knowingly ecouraging an alcoholic to play such a game involving shots, is something i just cannot get my head round!! Hence - my 'underhanded' remark. The games details could be extremely damaging to ones health. It just sounds like an awful notion to put to an alcoholic, and i really do sympathise with CB12.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks SR. I appreciate that you all can be baffled with me. I don't mean to discount drinking games, as I have enjoyed them myself in the past, but for an alcoholic to be playing drinking games...

I'm feeling better about it today. I journaled about it and slept on it. It's not my life. I do not live with him and don't have to deal with it.

It just sucks to know that his wife is encouraging a progressive disease. He's already losing his memory and his voice is consistently raspy. I feel sorry that he's in such a marriage. It's not healthy for either of them.