Notices

How long would acute withdrawal...

Old 03-04-2011, 11:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long would acute withdrawal...

...be a factor if I stopped beer (12 or so a night for 2 years?) I stopped drinking before my first daughter was born and did not drink again until she graduated. I was living in a house that made us terribly sick, it was full of toxic mold. My nervous system just went crazy with rigidity in my limbs, anxiety, we thought we were going nuts. Finally, one day i got so nervous I drank some wine a friend had to "ease my nerves" and they have been "eased" by 9-14 beers every night for 21 months. I got the flu this week and actuallu maight have been a blessing. I could only get down 6-7 beers from having a fever. The next day, had no beers, running a fever. Today, started feeling a little anxiety, took a librium. I also have some Campral to begin. I hade talked to my doc 10 days ago about this, she gave me the meds. Can I get over the jitters in 2 days? Are those good meds? Thanks for any response, leadhead
Old 03-04-2011, 11:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It always took me a few days to start feeling better.

I am sure you will be feeling better soon.

I am glad you talked to your doctor about it, and have made the decision to do something about your drinking.

Welcome
Old 03-05-2011, 12:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi leadhead and welcome to SR. If you have decided you would like to quit drinking, I am here to tell you, you have definitely found the right place for support.

Thing is we can support you, but we can't, nor should we give you medical advice. It's against the rules here.

Withdrawal is very different for everybody so nobody can predict what it will be like for someone else. It's important that you take them seriously however, because they can be life threatening.

Good for you going to the Doctor 10 days ago. Sounds like you haven't been well healthwise. You mentioned that he gave you medications and I am assuming you discussed your drinking with him during your visit. I would suggest you call him with the questions that you have brought up here. They are valid questions and I'm sure he/she could best answer them.

In the meantime get comfortable here. Look around, read the sticky's you'll
find at the top of the sections. Lot's of great information to educate yourself about alcoholism and addiction here. Look at the Under the Influence sticky.

Anyway, I just wanted to welcome you. More members will be around shortly.
Look forward to getting to know you better.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank ya'll for your replies. As I said in the post, before that nasty Mold got into us, there were no "nervous-jittery-gut-feelings" inside me.The Mold they found had actually been used in it's condensed form to create a Nerve Gas to be used on soldiers during WW!. I never should have tried to ease it with a drink. That was going to end up like the Nerve Gas anyway, destroying my insides. I'm on my 4th day with nothing to drink but water and ginger ale. That might be a good time for a lot of folks to quit their drinjing.....it's just not knowing when the flu bug will arrive...LH
Old 03-06-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum! Hope you feel better soon - I found that the first couple days were the worst.... the insomnia and tiredness lasted the longest.

Here's a thread from the forum about people's experience with detox:http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Seeing a doctor is the best way to go, so glad you did that. Hang around - there's lots of support here!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks,artsoul, and what a beautiful background on your profile! (looks like a Bob Ross original) I could not believe that fateful evening, after 20 years, 5 mos, and 12 days without as much as alcohol cough syrup. Then I'm offered some wine and I took it to ease my wacked nerves. It eased it, alright. The next 330-60 days, there were bottles of Red Zifendal always ready to be uncorked. After the wine binge, the old guts said "Try some beer instead". First few weeks I drank 6-8, after a month, 10-12, till after many months, about 12-18 every night. Thank God for His Blessings and works, for I had told my Dr. about the drinking and she gave me Campral and 30 Librium. The very next night, I got the flu and drank 6 beers and felt like going "BLAAAAAHHHH!!!". After 4 days of fever, it broke and I began the Campral. Only been on it 3 days, not sure what it's suppose to do. Thanks, leadhead
Old 03-07-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Wow.... 20+ years and this disease put you right back where you started from..... geez. I had years of sobriety TWICE, and relapsed. I think it's because I felt so on top of things, like a totally different person.... I really couldn't imagine that I would ever fall into the same old same old. But once I got comfortable drinking again, it didn't take long......

As far as I know, Campral is to help with the cravings. Glad you're over the fever - sounds like you were pretty sick...... (I've been getting a flu shot every year - which seems to have done it's job so far).
Old 03-08-2011, 04:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Acute w/d usually lasts a few days to a week. AFter that you should be feeling better. If you're not, see your doctor.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Wink

AS the others are saying acute W/D last about a week, the meds your Doc gave you are good. I am am a Nurse but am not medically telling you that you should do anything , just a good drug for the flu.........you came to the right place for help and support to quit drinking....I never drank one drop...I ATE drugs INSTEAD.....same THING, tho.

Same party....still had to go throguh withdrawals......no fun...am saying a prayer for you.

Blessings,

Kahlia
Old 03-08-2011, 04:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Why did I go to school?????

I stand corrfected...Campral IS for ceavings....did you get any thing for thr flu....DUH????

Kahlia

Still walking down my Dusty road at times.....just woke up........

So, I am wrong........ooooops!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

And they did not teach me how to spell either....Happy TUESDAY!!!!!!!

Kahlia
Old 03-12-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am about over the flu-bug, but it helped me stop the alcohol. While I was sick, I didn't even want to think about it. It may have been a blessing in disguise. Today I'm on Day ( without any alcohol. thanks, JB
Old 03-12-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

is that day 9, leadhead?

Congratulations
D
Old 03-15-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just got a chance to get on the site for the first time in days, but am on day 13 of no alcohol, just got over flu-bug, have been just on Campral, don't need any more Librium. That flu was like a bolt from heaven taking away the booze, if you wanna know the truth, I fully believe in God Almighty and I fully believe he works in mysterious ways. leadhead
Old 03-15-2011, 09:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

"Mysterious ways" indeed! Congratulations on day 13 (soon to be 2 weeks sober!) - YEA!

Here's to being alcohol-and-flu-free!