Notices

Newbie!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie!

Hey everyone -

I'd like to introduce myself here. I'm Erin. I've been a pretty steady alcoholic for about four years now. I drink about 5 nights a week until I fall asleep. I feel that it started as a coping mechanism, then lead to boredom when I lost my job and now is just a habit.

I've begun noticing symptoms of alcohol abuse and I know I'm killing my body right now. I work two jobs and don't feel I have time to go to meetings (maybe just an excuse on my part especially since I have time to drink still) but I'm reaching out for some online support.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Erin

I sure was in that same boat...I pushed the boat out a little further too
You're wise to look at the problem now.

If you've been drinking regularly for a while it's a good idea to see a Dr.
Detox can sometimes be rough fo some of us - best to be safe

I know you'll find support here.
D
Old 03-03-2011, 09:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome

It's good that you notice where you're putting your time, 'cause you're right about priorities.

Great that you're reaching out, lots of good people here
Old 03-03-2011, 09:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

This is a pretty big boat here, welcome aboard.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the support and replies!

What was the breaking point for you guys? I known I've been abusing alcohol for awhile now but can't break the habit of doing it. I can't seem to make that initial step even though I know that I need to.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Originally Posted by misserin View Post
Thank you all for the support and replies!

What was the breaking point for you guys? I known I've been abusing alcohol for awhile now but can't break the habit of doing it. I can't seem to make that initial step even though I know that I need to.
Breaking point is a good way of putting it, everybody is different.

I like a riddle member ReggieWayne reminded me of:
Three frogs are on a log, one decides to jump off, how many frogs are now on the log?
Three, a decision with no action means nothing.

Better question to ask is, what is your breaking point?

Hope its not too bad.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Zube
Old 03-04-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome misserin! By the time I got to this forum, I'd really didn't think I could quit drinking either. I tried..... I would get up with a hangover, feeling anxious, shaky inside and regretful, and promise myself I wouldn't drink anymore. By the end of the day, though, I'd cave in. This happened over and over again.

I started drinking in the evening to relax and fall asleep, too (also to turn my brain off and deal with anxiety and depression). Of course what really happens is that alcohol makes all those problems worse, which in turn makes us crave it more. So it's a vicious cycle that digs a deeper hole over time.

I was amazed when I finally quit at how good I started feeling again, not just physically (no hangovers!), but mentally and emotionally too. I hung out here as much as I could - it's the only thing that got me through those first days of sobriety.

If we can do it - you can too!
Old 03-04-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I suggest AA especially at the beginning. You don't have to jump in right away but you could attend a meeting or 2. Don't worry about how and when you'll go all the time just go when you can.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, Erin.

Everyone's "breaking point" is different.
I've had many of them...I wouldn't wait until things get really ugly...putting it off is classic alkie thinking.

It feels really good to be sober.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello!!

you've found a really good site here - so thats a big step in the right direction!

I think when you reach your breaking point you kinda know - thats what happened with me (I think)

Old 03-04-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know I'm going to feel better when I'm sober. I know I'm going to be healthier and happier. I know this all but can't break the habit I've put myself into.

I hear what you are all saying about different breaking points. Everyone is different. I guess I just want to hit my breaking point before I lose too much. I want help but don't know how to get it without putting the rest of my life in hiatus. Again, I know I am making excuses because I know that the rest of my life will only benefit from me being sober.

I want help. I need help. But I'm standing still.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Go to a meeting. Put your behind in a chair. Shut your mouth, open your ears and your mind. Do not pick up that first drink, just stay sober today. Rinse and repeat until you are ready to do something more substantial, like work on the things that got you to this space. No one will give you sobriety or recovery, so stop waiting. You have to go get it for yourself.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The funny thing about getting help is that instead of your life being put on hiatus you actually start to live again!

Welcome to SR
Old 03-04-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome! And what Stevie said.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

im in the boat too, right beside you erin. i'm lindsay, brand new here as well. and need help, want it. but standing dead still like a statue. and it sounds so simple to just be sober today, go to a meeting. but its like there is some huge wall i cant get past. im sure i can just walk around it, but which way do i go? hmmm, i can see that i just need to do it. do something different, but still i do things the same. and when the sun goes down, man, what then? no babysitter, no meeting. ive been too nervous to go in anyway. such a good question....what is the breaking point? shouldn't it have been last night or that night last week or the week before? i dunno.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks again for all the support.

I'm not yet in recovery but I am trying to go one day at a time right now. Hopefully one day I won't wake up and schedule the next time to drink.

I appreciate Chikka for being so honest. I know that no one can help me but myself. But I do need help getting myself to a point of helping myself. Every part of my body is screaming to stop drinking but my habit is too deaf to hear it.

Lindsay - I'm so happy to hear I'm not alone in this starter boat. I completely understand telling yourself you aren't going to drink at night but finding yourself scheduling a stop at the liquor store on your way home from work. My breaking point should have been last night or tonight or the drink I took four years ago.

Where do I go from here?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Erin and Lindsay, you've both already taken a huge step just by being willing to look at your truth and see that alcohol is in your way. You've taken another huge step by admitting that you're scared to death and can't do it alone. You've taken yet another by coming here and talking about it.

Keep taking those steps, keep putting one foot in front of the other. This is a great place to get the support you need. You can do this.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Erin

There's lots of info here and support, also maybe try an AA meeting? There's also SMART recovery (google it). Their CBA worksheet is helpful for laying out how drinking affects your life.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I can't say how much just reading things here has helped. I got through last night, and today.
How you doin today Erin?