Notices

So used to doing whatever *I* want, following *MY* will!

Old 03-03-2011, 02:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So used to doing whatever *I* want, following *MY* will!

I am really struggling in NA/AA. I have a great sponsor, go to meetings, work the steps, read the literature, be of service, pray, etc.... and yet, I can not stop living on my own self-will. I can not align my will with my higher power's will. I know roughly what my higher power wants me to do (do the next right thing, take care of myself, etc) but I still want to screw people over and let myself down. I don't really know WHY, but I really want to recover sometimes, and other times I just don't care!

Even when I do care, though, I find it really hard to do the next right thing. It isn't always a drug-related issue I have, but it usually is addiction-related-- related to the character defects that addicts tend to have. I act on a defect or fail to act on a spiritual principle. Often this has led to relapse for me. I feel like I have lost the battle long before I ever pick up.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Onewithwings View Post
I am really struggling in NA/AA. I have a great sponsor, go to meetings, work the steps, read the literature, be of service, pray, etc.... and yet, I can not stop living on my own self-will. I can not align my will with my higher power's will. I know roughly what my higher power wants me to do (do the next right thing, take care of myself, etc) but I still want to screw people over and let myself down. I don't really know WHY, but I really want to recover sometimes, and other times I just don't care!

Even when I do care, though, I find it really hard to do the next right thing. It isn't always a drug-related issue I have, but it usually is addiction-related-- related to the character defects that addicts tend to have. I act on a defect or fail to act on a spiritual principle. Often this has led to relapse for me. I feel like I have lost the battle long before I ever pick up.
You sound a lot like me. I'm so determined to be the "creator" of my own destiny, it almost works against me sometimes.

Your strong mind and character sabotages your recovery. You want recovery but not out of weakness, you want it to be your own choice.

My husband says to this day how proud he is of himself for getting me to detox....he he I'm thinking to myself: "you only recommended it to me, I decided to go by my own will".
Old 03-03-2011, 03:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What do you mean "work the steps"...have you finished the initial step work with your sponsor, the writing of step 4, the sharing of step 5, the writing of step 8, the action of making amends in step 9?

Are all the amends done?

If you have done all that and been through the steps in between you have finished the initial step work which will be integrated into your thinking and life whether you want it or not...

Is that what you mean? That's the program of AA.

If you have done all that and then are refusing to integrate the principle of the steps into your life then you might have either not been rigorously honest or need a new sponsor to go through the steps again?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OWW, you have to recover for yourself it will never work IMO if you aren't. I'm not an AA person, but I am familiar and integrated a version of the steps into my own recovery, and it sounds to me like you might need to start over working the steps and/or try a different approach. I hope you find your way.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

OWW-

I certainly know how you feel and most of "us" alkies / addicts lived in complete self will and we were very, very selfish.

Are you sure you're not beating yourself up?

Remember, progress, not perfection. There may be (and for me this is true) a long period of reconstruction.

Keep working those steps and go back and work them again if you have to.

Remain willing, humble, and honest and keep taking the next right action.

Don't give up now, in fact, step up your recovery. Just do it!

Kjell
Old 03-03-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Could it be that you are self-sabotaging?

I'm asking this because I was the Queen of self-sabotage. Whenever something good would come my, I would mess it up and put the blame elsewhere. Believe that you deserve good things in your life.

Tolle talks a lot about 'intention'. What is the intention behind each choice you make every day. If the intention is a good and positive one, then good results will follow. If you choose to do something that is hurtful to others, you will also feel the pain.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

One good thing about doing what you want, and following your will.

You know exactly who is responsible for the results.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I feel the same way alot. My problem is me and my thinking or rationalizations sometimes.
I figure I always make it back or this is just how I always been why change now.
I can really get at myself at times.

Thats usually when I should reach out and get a different percpective from someone else that may be able to help.
I dont know much about the steps.
I try to follow the Karma rules.
Like someone already said about what you put out will be what you get back.'
sometimes I just have let go of the wheel and let things happen and stop trying to be in charge all the time. And that goes for every aspect in my life. Not just with my addiction.
I am already a control freak.
Just do as you should and watch everything else fall into place.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My litmus test is always seriously asking myself these 3 questions:

Will (whatever I'm wanting) hurt anyone?
Will (whatever I'm wanting) hurt me?
Will I feel stupid about (whatever I'm wanting) in the morning?

If the answer is no to all 3, and I still want (whatever I'm wanting), I go ahead