I'm Jaded..How Do YOU Pray?

Old 02-28-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm Jaded..How Do YOU Pray?

I was sweeping the floor this morning and was thinking about praying.I have had a hard time with it and today it really hit me why.The people that I have known who are the biggest "prayers"..my MIL and my grandmother specifically, drove me nuts with it.
They LOVE to pray and hand it over to God, (a man in the sky for them).They then proceeded to do not ONE thing to better themselves,heal their own sicknesses, repair relationships, CHANGE things...they would sit and wait for God to do that.Feels like a for sure copout to me.
I say the serenity prayer, and I try to pray just asking for wisdom and stregnth, clarity, removal of my character defects.not anything specific like "heal my daughter"...basically what alanon tells me to do..and it helps..I don't know why and that's ok.
Just got me wondering ..how do YOU pray and what do you pray for?Do you know people who use prayer as an excuse for not fixing things themselves?Someone in my home group says "Gods not gonna do my laundry" and I like that.It(prayer) has left such a bad taste in my mouth, but I know it's a fundamental part of spiritual growth...
Old 02-28-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great topic...

The two things I find I pray for the most are willingness and acceptance.

Willingness to take the actions I do not want to take (or, conversely, to NOT take the actions I DO want to take but are not good for me).

Acceptance (and patience) to let things be as they are, even though I wish they were different or think I know how they could be better.

As I am writing this, it occurs to me that what I am describing is basically the Serenity Prayer!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm reading a book right now called "Sun Stand Still".

This book is about having big faith and not being afraid to ask God for big things..! But it does talk about people who "give up" and turn it over to God....I think God expects us to do our part for sure!

It's a great book!

Roo

Oh... I pray to stay strong and focused on Gods will for my life and the people around me!
Old 02-28-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I strongly believe that "prayers move the Hand of God'. However, I also believe that there are times that our prayers "need legs." Sometimes my HP fights my battles for me. In that situation, I (try) to rest in Him. (btw...that is a hard one for me because I am such a control freak). And, sometimes my HP fights my battles through me. In that situation, I am an active participant.

I follow the "ACTS" guide line for my prayers. I begin my prayers by ADORING my HP. I CONFESS any known sins in my life. I offer prayers of THANKSGIVING to my HP. And, I offer up my SUPPLICATIONS to my HP.

Right now, I don't know how to pray for my AD. I am simply praying that my HP's Divine Will would be accomplished in her life. And, I am praying that my HP would reveal any blind spots in my life. All of us are a "work in progess". "I am not where I want to be but thank God I am not where I used to be".

I believe with all my heart, if prayers had not be offered up on the behalf of my AD, she would be dead by now. I have personally witnessed many, many miracles.

Also, I believe that prayers have changed my way of thinking. He has revealed the "good, bad, and ugly" in my own life.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keepinon - I dont think your jaded at all!!
The sermon at my church on Sunday was about how hard it is to be a Christian. It was so what I needed to lift my head up and have the strength to get through the day!

It's sound like your learning a lot!

Sending hugs and "PRAYERS" just for you!

Roo
Old 02-28-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
tam

I have gone back to going to church. hearing the sermons each week gives me faith that god is in control. I find the sermons to be very true as well, we all have our problems but giving them to your HP does relieve the stress. and I truly believe my HP will be there for me, in sickness, in health, in divorce..etc.etc..It gives me peace as well to know he is there alongside me. I then pray at church for various things going on in my life as well prayers for my families,friends lives as well.
each night I now do the rosary on tv. I start off saying the prayers alongwith
the nun out loud and by the end I am completely relaxed and feel at peace,
my mind is focused on faith. I am asleep quickly afterwards.

Im not looking for answers, as he doesnt deny your prayers, he might just delay them. I just feel better and believe in it, I truly think it is helping me in my recovery. let go let god
Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me, Jesus did it best when he asked that if there was any way for the cup to pass (his will), but nevertheless Your will be done!

I try and have conversations with God through my prayer...sometimes it is a specific prayer, sometimes it is just "talking", "sharing", etc. For me, growing in my faith involves relationship, not some ask and you shall receive concept.

I try to always end my asking for God's will to be done. Obviously, my HP is much more capable than I.

I came across a blog quite a while ago completely by accident. It was the blog of a woman with cancer and she was dying. I actually was reading it after her passing, which was just strange to me. She had a post where she talked about God not being santa claus. Wow, that hit me. Of course she prayed for healing, but in her horrible situation, she didn't expect everything she wanted. I'll never forget reading it.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow. VERY good question. I SO relate to you! looking forward to the responses.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was an atheist until I got sober almost 5 months ago. Maybe I still am. BUT I do get down on my knees by my bed most mornings, and thank God or the universe for helping me to stay sober one more day and for bestowing so many blessings on me.

It's a ritual of gratitude and humility which focuses my mind on the fact that I need to work every day to stay sober but that there are forces which help me.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

I "talk" with my Higher Power, when I walk on the beach, drive in my car, go to bed at night.

Discussing all my concerns, and my thankfulness and gratefulness too.

Never ask for much, except for him to lead my children on HIS path.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I think before I could "pray in recovery" I had to really KNOW who was I talking to.

I had to broaden my concept of the God of my understanding ~ My heart had to be open to and discover WHO was MY God?

I heard a wonderful speaker in Al-Anon talk about her HP ~ she said her sponsor suggested that she "order her hearts desire" when she thought about what she wanted her HP to be . . .

Kind, Loving, Compassionate, Strong, Courageous, Guiding, Forgiving, Fair, . . .

Once I had a concept of who He was, then it was easier for me to start communicating with the God of my understanding in a more intimate, personal way - in the form of talking, journaling, venting my anger, sadness, singing praises, or praying - just whatever worked for me that day ~

Just my thoughts - please take what you like & leave the rest . . .

PINK HUGS,
Rita