Notices

Oh my god help me

Old 02-27-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Oh my god help me

Well I just about made it through day 6, then my body decided to pass a kidney stone. At the ER they gave me 20 mg total (for the 10 hrs I was there)...now I am pancicing, I refused the script they gave me, now does this mean I failed? Does this mean I am going to go through withdrawals all over again? I feel like a failure, but I have NEVER been in sooo much pain.....tell me, am I a failure and am I going to wd again?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sistersforever View Post
Well I just about made it through day 6, then my body decided to pass a kidney stone. At the ER they gave me 20 mg total (for the 10 hrs I was there)...now I am pancicing, I refused the script they gave me, now does this mean I failed? Does this mean I am going to go through withdrawals all over again? I feel like a failure, but I have NEVER been in sooo much pain.....tell me, am I a failure and am I going to wd again?
First off, you are not a failure! So banish that thought.

Also, good for you for being so strong and refusing the script. That was how I relapsed the first time; a new doctor asked if I wanted to continue on the meds after reviewing my medical records and I couldn't bring myself to say no. I'd been clean two weeks.

I want to make sure I am understanding you correctly; they dispensed pain meds to you while in the hospital? Did they know you were a recovering addict? Did you request non-narcotic alternatives? Or, were you knocked out and they just gave them to you? Was what you were given your drug of choice?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, and no matter what you answer, you are not a failure.

As for the withdrawls, I have no idea; you would need to contact a medical professional and you probably should just to get advice regarding the specifics of your situation. We all know how dangerous some w/d's can be.

Hang in there! And I do hope you start feeling better; I've heard kidney stones are less than fun...

~A
Old 02-27-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Failure or not

I did not mention I was an addict, because my husband who does not know, was with me...plus I was in sooooo much pain, at that point I didnt care what they gave me, as long as it went away......
I feel bettdr today, than I have all week, so I hope this wont restart everything. I can actually get out of bed, and even eat now. Anxiety isnt bad either..so I will keep my fingers crossed.......
Old 02-27-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Location: Sevierville, TN - in the valley of the Great Smoky Mountains
You have NOT failed!! I went through two surgeries after I got into recovery. Both times after I got out of detox. One was only a week after I got out for gall bladder removal - the other at 5 months clean to get my tubes tied and a DNC. I was honest with the docs. Sometimes we NEED a pain med. It's ridiculous to think we'll never need a pain med again just because we're in recovery. The deal is - be honest (with self, too - do I hurt bad enough or do I THINK I do?), have someone hold the meds and administer for me, flush what I no longer need!!

With that little amount you shouldn't feel anymore physical w/d than you had. It's the mental w/d for me that was so hard. Good for you for not filling the scrip. Tylenol is what I took when I got rid of the pain meds. It doesn't take the pain away, but it did take the edge off.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Location: Sevierville, TN - in the valley of the Great Smoky Mountains
Honey - do you think it might be time to fill in your husband? Time to get honest sweetie. He could be your biggest source of support.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiskerkissed View Post
Honey - do you think it might be time to fill in your husband? Time to get honest sweetie. He could be your biggest source of support.

That is a great point and great advice. Coming clean to my family was such a relief, I can't even begin to explain how much better it made me feel.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm an alcoholic who has never had a problem with other drugs--even when I was drinking alcoholically, I didn't like the way pain meds made me feel, so I always took them for the bare minimum necessary and then switched to ibuprofen. So obviously I don't have the experience the drug addicts here would have.

That said, it seems to me that if you only took the med under supervision, took it ONLY to control the pain (not because you wanted to sneak a "high" with a good "excuse"), and refused the prescription when you left, it wasn't a slip.

Don't let this get your head all spinning. Keep moving ahead.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had to have a hysterectomy in Dec. and did the same as Whisker did. It was best for me and didn't relapse. I needed the pain meds and just had someone else give them to me.

Sister, you didn't fail. You took the meds for a medical reason. You can do this! Stay strong.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you're feeling better now sistersforever - kidney stones are really painful.

I agree with everyone that meds administered by Drs in times of pain are really down to the Dr.

I think it's very important we be honest with our Doctors tho - knowing your addictive history may have make a difference in their treatment, if not this time, maybe in future...

I hope you will tell your husband too - cos I think that's as important, if for different reasons

D
Old 02-27-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sistersforever View Post
when medication is given to you by a doctor this doesn't mean you relapsed.....
relapse is when you abuse the medication........
in the future if you find yourself
in this situation again tell the doctor you are in recovery and maybe there might be an alternative......
don't be ashamed to be totally honest with doctors.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I love this place.

I totally agree with everyone else about the meds, fwiw. Just wanted to show you some more support and STRESS to you You are NOT a failure! :ghug3
Don't let your head get you spinning!