Should this be an additional worry(abusers couple's kid)

Old 02-26-2011, 11:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should this be an additional worry(abusers couple's kid)

Problem family living with a single mom(child not his). She didn't help his cause or her own. Mom is a big enabler/cheerleader of the family member literally yesing everything he does/says.

Anyway found out that the mom's 12 year old kid still wets the bed. The family member's an alkie among other things. The mom likes to be 'happy'. She's dumb like a fox coming off as an idiot yet frequently comments like an academic.

Kids been an issue for several years now-almost flunked out of grammar school. Now we find out the kid's a bed wetter.

Question are there more issues other than being around frequently drunk or probably high adults?

Apparently a custody battle has been started with the kid's father over the last year or so. I'm hoping the father wins but they seem to be going out of the way to retain custody. We're pretty far removed from the child's life-rarely see. Is this how a child of frequently absent or drunk parent/s acts or acts out? Is it worth a call to social services?

Last edited by thequest; 02-26-2011 at 11:23 PM. Reason: spelling,brevity
Old 02-27-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by thequest View Post
We're pretty far removed from the child's life-rarely see. Is this how a child of frequently absent or drunk parent/s acts or acts out? Is it worth a call to social services?
JMO...I would have no logical reason to step into another family's drama. I have enough of my own. Wetting the bed in not in itself a sign of abuse, neither is doing poorly at school. If you are far removed there's little likelihood that you know whats going on, and if there's already a custody battle, hopefully the courts will determine what is in the best interest of the child.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know what your relationship is to this family and being pretty far removed from the situation would make it difficult to really determine whether there is something serious going on there.

I hope that there is no abuse of this child going on but I tend to agree with Cece. Hopefully the courts will be able to sort things out and get the child the help he needs and deserves.

gentle hugs