Notices

AA in one sentence

Old 02-26-2011, 03:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA in one sentence

It says it on page 44 of the BB...

"Well, that’s exactly what this book is about. Its main object is to enable you to find a Power greater than yourself which will solve your problem".

That's it. That simple. I was reading Chapter 4 last night and the sentence jumped off the page. In AA we discuss so many things, and ideas, and we hear stories, etc... all of them are wonderful, but when I was new I had a hard time wrapping my arms around what AA really was.

Basically, AA is encouraging us to find a power greater than ourselves that will solve our problem. Steps 4 and 8 are the action steps. Here we deal with resentments, character defects, and amends. The idea there is when we are full of resentments (replaying past events that hurt us), when we are being dominated by self will and character defects, and when we are running from people because of what we did to them; those things block us from the higher power. Once we deal with the wreckage of our past, we are now ready to fully receiver the power to beat this disease a day at a time from our higher power.

Pretty amazing stuff. This may be old hat to a lot of you out there, but I'd thought I share the perspective from a man who's 86 days sober and for the first time in his life sees a solution to this life long problem.

Happy Saturday Everyone!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by reggiewayne View Post
It says it on page 44 of the BB...

"Well, that’s exactly what this book is about. Its main object is to enable you to find a Power greater than yourself which will solve your problem".

That's it. That simple. I was reading Chapter 4 last night and the sentence jumped off the page. In AA we discuss so many things, and ideas, and we hear stories, etc... all of them are wonderful, but when I was new I had a hard time wrapping my arms around what AA really was.

Basically, AA is encouraging us to find a power greater than ourselves that will solve our problem. Steps 4 and 8 are the action steps. Here we deal with resentments, character defects, and amends. The idea there is when we are full of resentments (replaying past events that hurt us), when we are being dominated by self will and character defects, and when we are running from people because of what we did to them; those things block us from the higher power. Once we deal with the wreckage of our past, we are now ready to fully receiver the power to beat this disease a day at a time from our higher power.

Pretty amazing stuff. This may be old hat to a lot of you out there, but I'd thought I share the perspective from a man who's 86 days sober and for the first time in his life sees a solution to this life long problem.

Happy Saturday Everyone!!!
Hey Brother,
I have read they BB, but I have yet to enter the room vouluntarily. Not that I discount the philosophy, but bc I am a bit apprehensive...Im leaning towards going soon tho - just got to get my head in the right place. Thats why I started here.

I asked a friend about AA, and after about two hours of conversation (one way, lol), he summed AA up (at least to me) in one sentence: He told me that AA is about learning, encouraging, accepting, and enjoying living sober, not learning to cope with being an alcoholic. That was just his interpretation, but I liked it.

WSTS
Old 02-26-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes the sentence on page 44 is very powerful.... And a core principle of AA.

As stated in chapter 5 it is the taking of the steps to have a spiritual awakening As the result of the steps.

I also like: Finding God. Cleaning house. Helping others!

Crazy drunk a log stories and blaming other people is not recovery for me.

Excellent post!
Old 02-26-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

RW, so happy to hear you are feeling strong. For me, shifting my brain to lean on a higher power--to see what my day has in store rather than bending each moment to my will--has been a major (and welcome) change. Time for me to clean house...!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks whostolethesoul... check out this link. It's everything AA... If you like some of these podcast, you'll like AA.

XA-Speakers - The lights are on!
Old 02-26-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks reggie I am listening from your link
Old 02-26-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good deal. Joe and Charlie are awesome. You can also go to the home page and there are ALL KINDS of stuff there. I try and burn a new one everyday and listen to it in my car. Good stuff!
Old 02-26-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

reggiewayne, Thank you for this awesome post!!! Congratulations on 86 sober days!!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for this, ReggieWayne. It's always good to be reminded about the purpose of AA.

I also like the line from the preface:

"To show other alcoholics precisely how we have recovered is the main purpose of this book."

So many words-- precisely, recovered, main purpose-- are important in that line.