Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

frustrated and i'm starting to feel like my relationship wont work...

Old 02-25-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i just don't know what to do anymore. my husband has been in inpatient treatment since the 11th of this month...he has called me 3 times since he was in there 2 of them only to ask for money. i saw him on monday briefly but he hasnt bothered to call me and i just dont even know if he wants to be in a relationship with me anymore. I dont know if im just wasting my time going to all the family meetings and the communication workshops. I don't know how to deal with all of this. I feel so alone. I wish i hated him so that I could just walk away. anyone else having spouses in inpatient going through this?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

When someone is in rehab, they have a fairly strict schedule. They are there to concentrate solely on themselves and how to get better. I've read many posts here about the spouse/fiance/girlfriend/boyfriend at home feeling left out. Unfortunately, that is part of the deal when a person goes inpatient. Their entire focus needs to be learning coping skills for when they return to life outside.

It's nothing personal, really. I understand how frustrating and lonely it can feel, but truly, he is in there in order to learn how to deal with life without self-medicating. That's very important and if he is successful, you will reap those benefits, too. Hang in there. It'll be okay.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ya like i totally get that it is for him to get better but he has called his dad everyday. so he is choosing to not call me. thats what bothers me

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
When someone is in rehab, they have a fairly strict schedule. They are there to concentrate solely on themselves and how to get better. I've read many posts here about the spouse/fiance/girlfriend/boyfriend at home feeling left out. Unfortunately, that is part of the deal when a person goes inpatient. Their entire focus needs to be learning coping skills for when they return to life outside.

It's nothing personal, really. I understand how frustrating and lonely it can feel, but truly, he is in there in order to learn how to deal with life without self-medicating. That's very important and if he is successful, you will reap those benefits, too. Hang in there. It'll be okay.