Notices

That wave of anger :(

Old 02-25-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

That wave of anger :(

So today is day 6 for me, it's been pretty okay until about 20 minutes ago and I had my first real inclination to drink. I hate that feeling so much, something flips the switch and then I have this wave of anger that takes over because I know I can't drink. Then I started crying and I just feel so out of control. This sucks! I know you all know that very, very much but I just need to get it out. And then I was so rude to my boyfriend, poor guy doesn't deserve that.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Remember to breath - it helps
Old 02-25-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you are having a rough day... but just think- tomorrow, if you make it through- you will have a whole week! And you can give the BF a hug, tell him how you feel and continue on your way to a happy, healthy life. Go on and tell us how it goes
Old 02-25-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi! I'm on day 6 too! Tomorrow is a whole week for us so hang in there! The strong temptation should pass! I know my desire to drink seems to come in waves. The temptations come when i consider drinking which I should never do. Just ride it out until you're feeling better again! You may feel out of control right now, but if you don't drink you are in control no matter whether you feel like it or not! Hang in there!!! Let us know how you're doing!
Old 02-25-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you, on 3 weeks alcohol free. Its been hell but you can do it! I've realized with alcohol (not my drug of choice, just a supplement to my DoC, benzos) it really is one day at a time. Even 3 weeks in I still have a strong urge to down a bottle of wine, but I came here instead.

YES- SIX DAYS! One day away from a full week. You can do it.

~A
Old 02-25-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very common to feel angry, resentful and irritated in early recovery - but a lot of that is simply our mind and bodies repairing themselves, Lucy.

It's a time of renewal and it helped me to think of things that way - it's a process we need to go through to get to the other side - remembering that helped me be less likely to strike out at those who don't deserve it.

Congratulations on your 6 days!

D
Old 02-25-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Today is day 4 for me and I had the same temptation. Being home with my beautiful family and Friday night (I would have had a glass of wine in my hand by now). Anxiety level was creeping, so I decided to log on to SR and this has really helped me. One day at a time. Can't wait till I get to day 30, 40, 50, 60, etc. Hang in there.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Lucygypsy. People say in sobriety we feel better. I agree. We feel anger better, resentment better, anxiety better, lol... When we stop medicating our emotions with alcohol we're surprised at what we find. I too went through waves of all kinds of emotions early on.

I will say it does get more even over time. I don't have the huge lows in my emotions like I used to. Moreover, I am capable of being truly happy now that my life isn't being dominated by drinking.

I think we all strive for the feeling of being content in life. Being sober is a great start! Keep up the good work!!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for the encouragement. IT REALLY REALLY HELPS! just to know someone else took the time to reply in my time of need.

i am already feeling better. i am baking my very first pan of homemade bread.
(which would've turned out like a nightmare any previous friday night... )
Old 02-25-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

yummmmm I love homemade bread.........
Old 02-25-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'll second artsoul on that! Homemade bread...Yummmmm!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lucygypsy View Post
Thank you all so much for the encouragement. IT REALLY REALLY HELPS! just to know someone else took the time to reply in my time of need.

i am already feeling better. i am baking my very first pan of homemade bread.
(which would've turned out like a nightmare any previous friday night... )
So glad you are feeling better! And you rock for your six days...just wait until you get through tomorrow and can claim a full week! Those markers mean a lot to me, for some reason- even though they are technically arbitrary, transitioning from days to weeks feels like such an accomplishment. In no time flat, your next milestone will be a month!

Well done with the bread! My fave to make is homemade banana bread. Far better than any drink or drug! Enjoy it ! Those simple things in life...those are the BEST.