Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

being sober does make you stronger..............i think----what do you think?

Notices

Old 02-25-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i had a hard experience this evening an although i have calmed down i am concerned that i may feel so out of it[out of control] again.

Iam presently consoling myself with the idea that i will learn and that as a sober person i will learn faster and be in more control.

however since whatever it was that made me uncomfortable happened between me and my neighbor I am concerned since as a drinking alcoholic i will likely need to think for me and for him.

any words of encouragement regarding troubleshooting personal experiences sober versus drunk or any encouraging words would be kewl. when i stopped drinking my THEORY was that i would grow in confidence daily and that when bumps in the road came or even problems dealing and adapting to them would be much easier.

looks like this idea will now be tested
kevin 8 weeks sober tomorrow-no support but sr aye aye i
Old 02-25-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The problem is when we get sober, life keeps coming Kevin.

I think I am stronger, more confident, more patient, more compassionate and a host of other things - but it took me a lot of work and a fair amount of time to get there.

I'm not sure I entirely get what you want in response but I'm guessing you feel you should do something for this guy....but I also know that meeting this guy shook you up a bit too.

You have 8 weeks sober - that's great - but you're still in the process of saving yourself - I wouldn't try and save the world yet.

D
Old 02-25-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee
Old 02-25-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dee is right Kevin you are the most important person in your recovery you have done great but it's early days focus on what you are doing to stay sober for a while yet

Talia x
Old 02-25-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just listening to some meditation music now-thanks ty someone in the chatroom suggested i may try the aa idea of step 2 or 3 and higher power stuff so...
Old 02-25-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hey Kevin - even a few months into sobriety, I had to keep things as simple as possible. As they say in AA "Easy Does It." Don't take on more than you can chew. If your neighbor is causing you problems, you may need to distance yourself - at least for a while. I don't think I could befriend a using alcoholic even after almost 10 months of sobriety, so be careful. Of course, I'm just guessing here since I don't know what happened. So take this with a grain of salt!

The bottom line is you're sober....... You're doing great..... just a little glitch in the road - but you can get through it. Use it as an "instructive" experience.:ghug3
Old 02-26-2011, 04:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well although i have STILL not been to AA i took the advice of francismcan [the chatroom nick] and did some hp step meditation work [until 4am], went to bed feeling ok. Awoke and ended up TAKING some good advice and moving my house around so as my living areas [principally my living room] are now towards the front of the house and futher away from the shared areas of my living quarters [the back yard]

The upshot of this mainly is that my neighbor can do what he wants in the back yard and i most probably wont hear it, i also think my new living room is larger so can comfortable accommodate more peeps