Notices

The real party is in those meetings.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The real party is in those meetings.

Ok, seriously. I love going to meetings. I think I have been lucky with some really good ones. Today I was up early and went to a 6:15. Wow. It was mind blowing. Some of the stories are insane! And I am not saying this in a "that's not me" kind of way. I get something out of just about everybody who speaks. Some are stories and many are how the steps work. But I am really enjoying going and suspect that even if I wasn't an alcoholic, I would enjoy going. I feel worse than some, not as bad as others (YET), but I feel very connected. I really do feel like there is more spirituality in those rooms than any church I have ever been in. Am I crazy? Is this going to wear off? I hope it doesn't.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

LOL, I love it! I always say that if you like the people you drink with you'll like the people in AA. Same bunch, But we get to remember the punch lines.

Ron
Old 02-25-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ron, they are exactly the people I drank with except not the same. More evolved, they are! I want what they have.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In a fish bowl...

"But we aren’t a glum lot. If newcomers could see no joy or fun in our existence, they wouldn’t want it. We absolutely insist on enjoying life." ~Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous page 132

It's a lot of fun having a lot of fun with a bunch of drunks who aren't drinking anymore!

Zube
"The BAD news is I'm an Alcoholic...The GOOD news is, I'm an Alcoholic."
Old 02-25-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

THIS IS A FREAK'N AWESOME POST!

Yay Fish!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yea, I enjoy my meetings as well...

The say, keep going to meetings until you want to.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you're feeling comfortable and getting so much out it Inafishbowl

D
Old 02-25-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A question I have, as someone considering an AA meeting and having only recently stopped drinking is this. I feel like I have already let down my wife, and going to these without her just leaves her out again. anyone else feel this.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Strive to be alive!

Originally Posted by wander2 View Post
A question I have, as someone considering an AA meeting and having only recently stopped drinking is this. I feel like I have already let down my wife, and going to these without her just leaves her out again. anyone else feel this.
Nope! I love going to my meetings. Wild Bulls couldn't keep me away. If she wants you sober she's going to have to understand. Maybe she could go to Al-Anon? It might give her some insight on your eagerness to go to AA. Just sayin...
Old 02-25-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wanderer, I have no definitive answers. I'm a little over 30 days and this is my first real attempt to get and stay sober. Hopefully my last. I don't know your wife so I really can't speak to weather or not she is going to feel left out or not. Alanon isn't for everybody. But I was lucky with my husband. He went and is going to go back. If she liked it and she chose to work it, you both would be working the same steps. Although you'd each be working on yourselves, you both would have a better understanding of what the other is going through, IMO.

It has been made abundantly clear to me that if I continue drinking, it is going to kill me. I know this firsthand. I had a husband who was sober for many years. He relapsed and died the same night in a hellish car accident. It seems to me, you understand you need to get sober. Why not give yourself the best odds of making that happen?

AA has done something else for me and the results have been immediate for the most part (I have slipped). When I go to meetings and buddy up with members over the phone, etc. I am much less of a basket case around my husband. A lot of crap went down last month and I would have predicted daily arguments. When I can vent and talk to people who understand, I don't have to burden my husband. He simply can't understand completely the way that other alcoholics do.

It's possible that you may be damned if you do (go to AA). But it's just this newbies opinion, you're more likely to be dammed if you don't.

If not AA, then something and fast!
Old 02-25-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I recently quit drinking-again. It's been 25 long days. I used to have my own little private drinking parties after I worked out, cooked dinner, ect of course. Now, I'm bored to death. I think I'm goin to try an AA meeting tonight. What harm could it do, huh? Gotta start somewhere
Old 02-25-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wanderer...

Go to meetings. You're wife would rather see you going to meetings than out killing yourself. Trust me on this one.

Zube
Old 02-25-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

So bring her to a few open meetings, just so she can see what goes on at them. In my groups, lots of families socialize together. There are plenty of family-oriented events to help spouses feel like they aren't being excluded from some "secret society." (Just don't let her in on the secret handshake, lol.)

And encourage her to try an Al-Anon meeting. I found those to be awesome when I was with people in recovery.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

AA is for alcoholics... If your wife is one, bring her with you. If she's not, and she wants to, bring her along to an open meeting...

There are some things, though, that we need to do by ourselves... AA is, perhaps, one of those things.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm..
I've been mad..sad and glad in AA
but never found it boreing ..

Meetings? early on I thought of them as classrooms
for learning how to live sober and well.
The more often I went...the quicker I learned.
Now I go to enjoy watching others change in recovery..

It's an experience I am so glad I have.
Forward we go ..side by side
Old 02-25-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad your recovery is going well for you!
Old 02-25-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Inafishbowl View Post
Ron, they are exactly the people I drank with except not the same. More evolved, they are! I want what they have.
I don't know if Darwin would consider ME more evolved. LOL
Old 02-25-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

for me....
Involved=evolved, ......I'm an AA recovered alcoholic....
Old 02-25-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by 2blind2c View Post
I recently quit drinking-again. It's been 25 long days. I used to have my own little private drinking parties after I worked out, cooked dinner, ect of course. Now, I'm bored to death. I think I'm goin to try an AA meeting tonight. What harm could it do, huh? Gotta start somewhere
Welcome 2blind2c-

What have you got to lose except your untreated alcoholism?

Great job joining and posting here on SR and keep it up.

25 days is 25 days. Tomorrow will be 26.

Kjell
Old 02-25-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

2blind2c...

Good to know of your early sober time....Welcome!