Notices

meds and recovery ?

Old 02-24-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

meds and recovery ?

I had posed this question on my Yet I Drink thread but I think my personal diary is being ignored LOL . I mean that in all sarcasm! SR has been wonderful. Anyway, I was just wondering about experiences with meds. and recovery. I have no problem using SSRS. I have been on Celexa for over a year it helped some. I had a Dr. Appt. yesterday and my councilor and Dr. thought anxiety should be addressed. I was honest for the first time with Dr. about the amount of alcohol I have been using. I am five days sober today. She took me off celexa and put me on Ephixor. I have not taken any yet as I really hated how the celexa made me feel when I first started it. Things popping around in my head and felt as if my head were wrapped in cotton. I was on a very low dose. I am suppose to start this new pill at a low dose and increase. Jeeze I am just not sure I want to feel all funky at this point in my new sobriety. I would appreciate some experiences and opinions about it, to help me decide what I should do. My Dr. seemed to have a good understanding of alcoholism but, they are very quick to give you meds. Thanks u are all the greatest and I really don't believe I would be 5 days sober w/o SR. (())s The Lushly 1.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lushly

I think the best thing to do is always to follow the directions you were given for the meds. Then...if you have any problems, go back and see your Dr.

Meds can take some time to 'kick in', but every med and every person is different - I hope these new meds will work great for you

D
Old 02-24-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nobody can give you medical advice here, but as a long-time user of psychotropic meds I know that people can respond very, very differently to different meds or med cocktails. Example, I'm on a high dose of Celexa and it was one of the meds that had no odd side effects at all for me. It's excellent that you are being up-front with your doctor.

However many brain meds, when I first take them (I've been on many) tend to make me feel a bit high/weird at first, then level out....so I understand. It sounds like she's starting you at a low dose and plannng to titrate up very slowly, which is good....just stay in good communication with your doc and your counselor.

This is a good question, actually (and something you might want to address with the folks you're seeing medically) - given that brain meds can have some funky mental side effects, especially initially, what impact might that make on brand new sobriety?

Doctors are trained to medicate or operate, it's what they do...personally I think that's just fine; as long as we as medical consumers keep asking questions and being active participants in our treatment. Which you are doing.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Give it a try! Remember that it probably won't make you feel the same way that the previous meds did. It took me several before I finally found Busporine for my anxiety. You may experience some side effects, but just remember that they will pass. It just takes time. Heck, it is better than the effects from drinking!!!
Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Peace,

Happy Camper
Old 02-24-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

My personal opinion - I take antidepressants and have for more than ten years. I had to try three different meds to get one that worked for me without side effects. For me, the AD's level the playing field. I had to get my depression treated before I could begin to recover. AD's often affect different people in different ways, and it can take some time and patience to work things out. Also, I know from reading here, that sometimes the side-effects can disappear after a few weeks. I'm glad that you're talking to your dr about this and that he knows your situation.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I take a SSRI and a SSNI to help me manage my major depressive disorder. I used to medicate myself with drugs before entering recovery and I have also been clean with no prescribed medication. Those two experiences were about the same...miserable.

For me the side effects of my psychiatric meds are nothing compared to the living hell of my un-medicaly treated depression.

For me, if the side effects were worse that the depression symptoms, I would probably be resistant to taking the medication.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I take Cymbalta and Wellbutrin. My daughter takes Zoloft and Abilify. Its unfortunate for us that we need these things to even us out, but we do. I am a firm believer in not suffering unless it is absolutely necessary. I trust my Doc, and do what he says, until I have adverse effects, and then we address them.
I have taken these meds while drinking, and while sober. I think that while drinking, they were absolutely not as useful or effective.
Monitor your feelings closely, but give them a try!
Just my opinion and experience.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Originally Posted by julez View Post

I am a firm believer in not suffering unless it is absolutely necessary. .
I totally agree! Depression is not to be trifled with either.

It can be painstaking to find the right drug/dosage/combo. Being upfront with your doctor about the side effects is critical.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
...than never

I worked in the pharmaceutical industry for 12 years and I wouldn't take SSRI's on a bet.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by betterlate View Post
I worked in the pharmaceutical industry for 12 years and I wouldn't take SSRI's on a bet.

Why not?