Notices

Feeling like part of an extended family

Old 02-24-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling like part of an extended family

Hi to everyone: First time here and extremely grateful for such a site! My short introduction: Father of 4 beautiful kids! and a lovely wife. Great career for the lsat 23 years with a minor hitch. Worked all those years on a rotating schedule which is why I am where I am. Due to my crazy schedule, I got into a habit of drinking a glas of wine to "mellow" me out prior to working the midnight shifts. Fast forwarding to the present, I was drinking two to three glasses of wine a day to "relax". I got to the point where I always had to have a fresh bottle of wine or I would not be able to relax naturally. I don't consider myself a hard drinker, I can have a glass of wine or two at a party and enjoy the rest of the evening. Reading some of the other posts on this site has made me realize that I am not "as bad as some others". Regardless, I was drinking wine and sometimes a mix drink EVERY DAY. I am not the AA type (too busy with the family) This site is my AA. I feel like I can relate to many of you! I read the posts daily and they actually inspire me and motivate me to stop drinking once and for all. I look forward to giving advice and to take some.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

Having to drink before work never sounds good.. regardless of what time your shift is!

Those beautiful children sure do deserve a fully present and healthy daddy.

This site is pretty far from an AA substitute, and isn't an AA site, but you will find lots of support from people just like you here I found that I made a lot of excuses and rationalizations for lots of my behavior back in my drinking days. Hope you find some good motivation here to be as healthy as you can be.

Welcome.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Familyman

You'll find a lot of support here, and a few ideas of what to do if you find you need more support as well

Welcome
D
Old 02-24-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome FamilyMan -
You're so wise to address your drinking patterns early on, especially if you feel like you're relying on it.

Being sober is about being the best I can be, and it feels good.....
Old 02-24-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi FamilyMan,

Welcome!

It's great that you recognize that drinking is affecting your life in a negative way. And, alcoholism is a progessive disease and it will get worse unless you stop drinking. SR is a great resource for information and support, so I hope you will keep reading and posting.