Notices

11 Months @ 11:00

Old 02-24-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

11 Months @ 11:00

Tonight at 11:00 EST, it will have been 11 months since I had my last drink. Also 11 months since my last arrest, ever. EVER.

I've learned a lot in these 11 months, and the great part is the feeling that it's only the tip of the iceberg. There's so much more life ahead of me, so many more experiences, so many things to learn and chances to better myself and make life better for others. I'm extremely excited for what the future holds.

In these 11 months, I've learned a few things: responsibility, leadership, accountability, trust, honesty, humility, integrity...lots of things I didn't have before. But the most important thing I've learned is that I'm Not Running The Show.

Once I gave in and decided to follow the path that God has set before me, life became sooooo much easier. The decisions I used to make always got me into lots of trouble, but now if I just focus on what God wants me to do, the decisions are already made for me. I know the difference between right and wrong, and I reckon I always did, but I would find a way to justify my actions when I was doing the wrong thing. That doesn't happen these days. I know what the right thing to do is, because I know what God would want me to do, so I've taken the decision-making power away from myself and placed it in him. And it has worked every single time.

In just over 2 months I will celebrate my 30th birthday. A lot of my friends are doing the same, and many of them are freaking out, thinking they're getting "old" (mostly the girls) or that they won't be able to party anymore (mostly the guys). I on the other hand am quite looking forward to it. I'm very glad I had this year of recovery during my 29th year, because I believe it has set me up for the future. I'm glad to say goodbye to my 20s, to send off that part of my life where I was a party animal and running around and getting in trouble and all that nonsense. I see my 30s as the start of a new life for me, one with mortgages and maternity wards and coaching little league baseball. The blackouts and raves and arrests were all in good fun, but now I'm ready for a different kind of fun.

So I'm thankful, so very thankful, for that arrest those 11 months ago. It helped put me on a path for the rest of my life, and I really like the path I'm on. I also really like the people that are on it with me. Kjell, least, Neo, Carol, Dee, Kmber, and so many others...I care very much and have great respect for each and every one of you. This site wouldn't be what it is without all the people who so selflessly give of their time and experiences to help others, and I think that's an absolutely wonderful thing.

Hooray for SR, and I'm gonna make this 12th month the best one yet! Hope everyone has a truly awesome day and weekend ahead!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How Awesome

Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
Tonight at 11:00 EST,
There's so much more life ahead of me, so many more experiences, so many things to learn and chances to better myself and make life better for others. I'm extremely excited for what the future holds.

In these 11 months, I've learned a few things: responsibility, leadership, accountability, trust, honesty, humility, integrity...lots of things I didn't have before. But the most important thing I've learned is that I'm Not Running The Show.

This site wouldn't be what it is without all the people who so selflessly give of their time and experiences to help others, and I think that's an absolutely wonderful thing.

Hooray for SR, and I'm gonna make this 12th month the best one yet! Hope everyone has a truly awesome day and weekend ahead!
Truly inspirational indeed...Know we are celebrating with you in spirit. Congratulations!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey man. Awesome achievement on your 11 months sober!! Thanks for a great post too!!

It's great sharing this 'journey' with you too mate and thanks for your support and inspiration!!

Peace
Old 02-24-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fair Play...Keep It Up....

That was a lovely post and you deserve all the happiness you recieve
Old 02-24-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Magnificent, Snarf.

We joined here round about the same time but my first attempt never took. Keep it up, buddy.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
it's only the tip of the iceberg. There's so much more life ahead of me, so many more experiences, so many things to learn and chances to better myself and make life better for others. I'm extremely excited for what the future holds.
Heck yeah man!

I love your post, but especially the above.

Faith in what's next as long as we are doing our part is an unbelievable feeling.

Freedom from bondage. ...and we didn't even know we were being held captive. No more lies.

Keep it up Snarf and as soon as I can drive, I hope we can go to a meeting together.

ATL in the house!

Kjell
Old 02-24-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratualtions...you're awesome. =)
Old 02-24-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats Snarf, I hope your 30's give you everything you hope for and more. I am about 10 years ahead of you as far as age goes. I had all of that in my 30's but it seems like a big blur...and much more problematic and complicated than it should have been. I really wasn't there if you know what I mean.

God Bless, and again, congrats on getting your life in order!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your upcoming sober birthday and bellybutton birthday. I've enjoyed sharing this journey with you and hearing your wisdom along the way. I too have 'grown up' a great deal in the last year and something. And my daily reward for living sober is waking up feeling good - can't beat that!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know of your solid progress....
Old 02-24-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Way to go Snarf!!!! It is an absolute pleasure to take this journey with you. We all pull together and help each other I am moving along right behind ya!

Well done my friend!!! Woot!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Thanks guys. So happy that we all have this wonderful place where we can share and help each other.

Kjell, looking forward to that day when we fan go to a meeting together, brother. ATL REPRESENT!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 11 months Snarf - I also know how good it feels to step down from being the CEO for Everything LOL

D
Old 02-24-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Way to go Snarf!!! Thanks for a great, positive post, too - made my day!!
Old 02-24-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I hear ya! I'm turning 55 this summer (the same month I will celebrate three years, god willing), I'll be retiring at the end of the year, and just before I got sober all I could see stretched ahead of me was a lonely, isolated alcoholic existence. I imagined the neighbors calling the police just because of the newspapers piled outside with my car there and finding the body.

Instead, I'm looking forward to starting a new career and having the freedom to do some traveling.

Congrats on your first 11 months! Life is an adventure!!