Notices

Thought this place was a great resource

Old 02-23-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thought this place was a great resource

I've been sober for almost a week now. I've done it before like when I go home for the holidays and managed to not drink for a while, but the first chance I was living by myself again I would crave it. So I figured if I stopped it on my own because I wanted to, then I wouldn't get caught up in the cycle. I told myself "oh drinking in college is a normal thing, and I can stop when ever I wanted to." But it grad school now its starting to interfere with things and I've noticed its harder than I thought. Right now I'm having the sleeping problems and nausea, I can bear through the sleeping but this nagging nausea is starting to bother me. Just wanted to say hey, and I'm open to any advice anyone has.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi magically

Welcome to SR - you'll find a lot of support here

Can't say I ever had nausea though others may have?
have you thought about seeing a Dr?

D
Old 02-23-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Congratulations on your decision to live a sober life, and good for you for getting through the first week. Hopefully the nausea will ease up soon, and if not, you can always check with your dr. The sleeping problems might take a little longer to work out.

And, yes, beware of the addict voice giving you not-so-helpful advice.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I puked every morning when my alarm went off and hit the bong to relieve it, then drive to work and sweat it out until noon when the drinking would start, and then the nausea would come in the night again and so the cycle continued. I am 9 months clean and sober now and haven't puked for months for any reason. For me I think it was a mixture between withdrawal in the night and general anxiety and dread of the coming day, fixed only by taking more drugs and drinking. I do not have to live this way any more thanks to this forum and face to face meetings.

Welcome magically
Old 02-23-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had nausea spells and got it checked out - turns out it was an ulcer, and the acid reflux was causing the nausea and sick feelings. I was put on nexxium right away and told not to drink - yeah right!!

chocolate, alcohol and caffiene really flared it up. something to think about. Hope it gets better - Stay DRY - that helped me tons! I don't take the lil purple pill anymore at all. that's a nice change
Old 02-23-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a week sober - that's a great start! I can relate to having insomnia (for a week or two) in the beginning. It will get better..... With the nausea, it does sound like talking to your doctor might be good. Alcohol irritates the stomach, but since you're not drinking not it would be best to find out how to treat it.

Glad you're here - hope you keep reading and posting!
Old 02-23-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh, I saw some people said it was normal for the nausea, but it's not as normal as I thought, I'll start a regimen of prilosec and see if that takes care of it
Old 02-23-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

First off, you may want to see your doctor. Tell him (or her) what's going on. And if your finding it hard to stop drinking, then you may have or are beginning to have a serious drinking problem. Another indicator is that drinking is starting to interfere with things. Not good signs, my friend.

I'd suggest that after you see your doctor for the vomiting issues and get your health checked out, you check into the AA program. Go to some meetings and see if it makes sense to you. I'm sure that if you live in an academic community there will be some Young People's meetings as well as the normal selection. Call the aa phone number in the book. It's manned 24/7 and they'll point you to the closest meeting. If you decide that it's not for you, no harm done. Meetings are free and it's only one hour of your time out of a day.

But in any case, I suggest that you stop drinking now. . If you're not an alcoholic, you will be if you keep drinking. This is a progressive disease and once you cross that line, there's no going back. Quit while you can.