Notices

I got a sponsor!

Old 02-22-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I got a sponsor!

I've attended a few meetings, but haven't achieved much success with sobriety. I haven't really started working the steps yet. I've been afraid (and still am) to commit to AA, because I'm afraid that I'll flake out and won't follow the program... that it'll be just another flavor of the week on my treadmill of self improvement. This is also why up till now I haven't gotten a sponsor.

I do, however, want to stop drinking. I get a little confused sometimes about if I REALLY want to quit drinking though, because as an alcoholic, I obviously want to drink. Does this make sense?

However, I've come to realize that AA can't help me if I don't really try it. I'm hoping I'll stick to it. I want to be sober. I hope I've picked the right sponsor... I was a little apprehensive because she only has 18 months of sobriety and also is only on step 9 herself, but she is VERY in to the steps and seems to have a very thorough grasp on the program. Also she has a strong personality, which I think will be good for me.

We'll see!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are taking a step that most will not make, you are ahead of the game, and it sounds like things are starting to make sense for *you* and that's what counts. Congratulations, I sincerely mean that!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Way to go Aurora

D
Old 02-22-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Aurora80 View Post
However, I've come to realize that AA can't help me if I don't really try it.
Lot of truth right there and a lot of people, unfortuneatly, never understand this.

Congrats and get ready for the ride of your life!

Kjell
Old 02-22-2011, 10:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't worry about your sponsor having 18 months. In AAs early days, right after the Saturday Evening Post article, AA was deluged with requests, and the membership literally got 10x the size in a year. Members with 3 or 4 weeks of sobriety were sponsoring newcomers. It works if you work it!