Meetings

Old 02-21-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meetings

Nar Anon or Al Anon.... I have been to a few alanon meetings. Was just wondering if anyone could maybe let me know the difference between the two. My main problme is there is only one naranon meeting in my area once a week. Just in case anyone could help out.

Again Thanks
Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We have no NAranon in my entire county so I got to alanon.Chances are, your loved one who is abusing drugs is also an alcoholic. In my meetings people are really ok with drug references during meetings , but technically you should only speak about alcohol ( my groups are so full of peopel who should be at naranon,,no one has ever said a word about it).
The principles are the same, and addiction is addiction .I love my alanon groups.What I do is just substitute "substances" in my mind when they say alcohol.
I think one diiference I have noticed in general between the alcohol/addicts are that people with alcohol problems can go on for years..get better, decline, etc.With the heavy drugs the consequnces are really fast and really scary.Someone once said on this site that the f/f of alcoholics seemed really angry and the f/f of substances abusers seem really scared...
Old 02-22-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is an alanon very close to my house, naranon is way on other side of town. I have found an even mix of alcoholic/addict. I really have come to enjoy and look forward to my alanon meetings. The people are so amazing and caring.... I suppose it might be wherever you feel comfortable.