Notices

My second day

Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My second day

Hi,

I was searching around the internet this morning for some suppport with alcohol abuse and came upon SR. I can completely relate to some of the postings that I have read. Alcohol has been a part of my life from the begginning as my father is a recovering alcoholic, my brother is an alcoholic and I suspect that my younger brother and maybe my mother might have a problem with it too. I am ready to finally admit that I have a drinking problem to myself. I took my first drink around 13 years old and my life revolved around partying and drinking until my early 20's. I would drink off and on but I would never crave it. Alcohol just enhanced the fun. Now I'm 35, have a gorgeous toddler, house, job, relationship, and everything about me appears to look perfect from the outside, guess I'm what you call a functional alcoholic, but deep down inside I am depressed and feel shameful over my wine drinking. I drink wine a few times a week and will easily drink a 1 1/2 bottles each time. I wake up completey hungover and after a few days, I want to do it again. This has become a vicious cycle and I want to stop it before it gets worst. I am taking meds for my depression and find that exercise helps when I am feeling well enough to go to the gym.

Why do I want to stop drinking? I'm tired of being tired. I want to have the energy for my family, not for a night of binge drinking. I want to feel healthy and happy. I want to succeed in life and set a positive example for my son. I want to live.

I'm going to try and do this on my own with the help of an online support forum and see how that goes. I have looked into AA meetings in the neighborhood but do not have the courage yet to go to one.

Today is day 2 and I'm looking forward to a lifetime of sobriety.

Wish all the best for you. It feels really good to get this out. Thanks for listening.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere! I gave up alcohol for good over a year ago and am feeling better than I have in a long time. It's good to live without it: the shame, the cost, the health risks, the legal risks, and all the regret that comes with drinking.

to the family.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you are here

Old 02-21-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Danielle. This forum is a wonderful resource.
Anti-d's and alcohol don't mix well together so that is another good reason to quit...I'm assuming you haven't told your doctor about the drinking?

Keep reading and posting. If you decide to try face-to-face support there are many options and people here can give you more info.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Danielle!!!

I found that my energy level increased almost immediately. And yes, waking up without a hangover is wonderful. I'm able to make better choices and accomplish much more productive results in my day to day activities.

I've found so much help and support here on the SR forums. Congratulations on Day 2!!!

hugger
Old 02-21-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all. No Stevie, I have not discussed with my doctor. I haven't discussed this problem with anyone in fact. I know I should but I just can't bring myself to.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Hugger! I look forward to being more productive. I have been making really dumb mistakes at work lately. I'm looking forward to reading more on this forum. It's encouraging to know that I'm not alone and maybe my experience can help someone too.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think you'll find that getting it out into the open (within reason--you don't have to announce it to the world), will be a big relief. It's hard to hide the drinking, and if you knock yourself out trying to hide your recovery, it will only make everything more difficult. I would encourage you to at least tell your partner--you can wait to share it with others.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Danielle!

I do find SR to be a lifeline for me.

There are also some books that have been really helpful to me:

"The Seat of the Soul" by Gary Zukav - a beautiful, gentle guide into recovery, beginning with re-connecting with your soul.

"A New Earth" and "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle are books that help me to remember to live in the moment and to know that my thoughts and feelings are helping to create my future.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Danielle - I could have written your post 9 months ago..... everyone thought I was doing great and I spent a lot of time acting "sober" while drinking so that no one would know, not even my kids...... It was a life of just getting through each day and thinking maybe tomorrow would be different.

Still, I was afraid to try sobriety. What if I failed? What if I succeeded? Either way, it was a lot to invest, especially since I wasn't even handling the bare minimum that well.

I'm a single mom and have always prided myself on being self-sufficient, but alcoholism brought me to my knees mentally and emotionally. I hated giving up and asking for help, but when I did, things starting happening. I remember towards the end of my first week sober, getting out of bed and looking at myself in the mirror and actually smiling. That smile was so different than anything I'd had in a long time......

All I can say is: you really can do this. You're not alone. Look at all the options: doctors, addiction counselors, AA, inpatient, outpatient. Stay close to this forum. You really can find sanity again................:ghug3
Old 02-21-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome danielleanewday

SR's certainly helped me - but if you find it's not enough for you, you'll find many other ideas here too

I really urge you to speak with your doctor tho - detox can be tricky for some of us - it's simply best all round to get some professional advice

Welcome!
D