Notices

A question about panic attacks & snowblowing/shoveling

Old 02-21-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A question about panic attacks & snowblowing/shoveling

Hello all! As many of you know, the upper Midwest got nailed again with yet another snowstorm yesterday and early today, but as I was out shoveling and snowblowing this morning, I felt as though I had another strong panic attack. I had the typical lightheadedness and shortness of breath along with some tight chest pain which was very similar to the attacks I had in the first three or four days of sobriety. They're really quite frightening, to say the very least. I'm on day 19 of sobriety today, and I did see a doctor during my first few days of detox, and he attributed my attacks to drinking and withdrawal at the time. However, until today, the last two weeks I've been feeling pretty good with the exception of some very light and minor panic attacks.

So, my question is this: will doing work such as shoveling and blowing snow bring on severe panic attacks out of nowhere? especially since I haven't had any severe attacks within the last 13 or 14 days? I actually thought I had gotten past the worst of things. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Doing any sort of physical labour should be beneficial to your mental health with regards to panic attacks.

You'd be amazing in how effective keeping occupied is.

Best
Old 02-21-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Many heart attacks happen while shoveling snow and exertion out in the cold... See your physician, please...
Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by mark75 View Post
many heart attacks happen while shoveling snow and exertion out in the cold... see your physician, please...
yes yes yes!! Pronto!!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
Many heart attacks happen while shoveling snow and exertion out in the cold... See your physician, please...
I thought about this, too, but I have had no heart palpitations while essentially having the very same symptoms I had in the first few days of recovery. I'm afraid the doctor will just tell me the very same thing he told me the first time.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yikes!
JTele...yes, see your doctor about this, please.
I think I'd be demanding a cardiac work-up if this happened to me more than once. Mind you I've never had a panic attack so don't know what that feels like...but it sounds scary.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ok....I think all of you have convinced me to see the doc. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you.

I know three people in the last year who have had heart attacks. Don't know if you're male or female...women in particular (but men too) don't always have the typical symptoms. One friend was just dizzy and nauseated...no chest pain, no palpitations. When her left arm started getting numb and tingly, her husband finally convinced her to go to the ER.

Anyway...I do know that heart problems can have all sorts of vague symptoms and sometimes even no symptoms at all (silent heart attack.) So I say, better safe than sorry.

PS I hope nothing I wrote is construed as medical advice! I know we're not suposed to attempt that and quite rightly so...seeing your doc is a wise plan though.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It does not matter if you doctor says it's the same panic attacks or even that you are wasting his time.

YOU WANT HIME TO SAY THIS!!!!!!!!

Please, please go and come back and tell us how you got on and that you are safe.

Take care

x
Old 02-21-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would say go see your Dr. and let him know of the issue. That being said, I just had a check up within the last 6 months, I was cleared by a Dr. after detox, I have been eating healthy and working out regularly, and I had a similar episode about 20 days after my detox, and I had a couple of similar feeling about 7 months ago. I was not physically exerting myself. Everytime it just made me feel very uncomfortable, so I started some breathing exercises and they all passed within 5-10 minutes. Although I was able to check my pulse and it didn't rise rapidly I did feel a tightness in my chest and felt very anxious. In the last few months though they have gone away entirely. Like I said, I would get it checked, but I wouldn't be overly worried. It is a pretty natural occurance for many people in recovery.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Definitely talk to your dr and make him listen or find a new dr.

Every year people die of heart attacks while shovelling snow, so don't assume it's a panic attack.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

If there is a possibility that you are having a heart attack the best place might be the local ER. That is what they're there for!

If it is a heart attack then timing is critical. And if it isn't a heart attack you won't be the first person who has been in for a false alarm. Much better to be cautious.

Again, not medical advice, just common sense I hope. Heart problems while shoveling are very common, and I doubt anyone will fault you for playing it safe.

Good luck, and take care of yourself.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad to see you are going to the Dr. Having suffered from panic attacks myself.....your symptoms definitely warrant a visit. No matter what happens as you move forward please keep in mind that many things mimic anxiety/panic attacks so please do not self diagnose...always check in with the Dr.

Hope all goes well. Take it easy on yourself.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's far better to be safe than sorry JTele.
Glad you're seeing the Dr

D
Old 02-21-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

First just let me preface by saying yes - talk to the doctor. But as someone who has had experience with panic attacks, I find that exercise brings them on sometimes. It's just the shortness of breath and increased adrenaline that does it - it kind of revs up this cycle where you think something's wrong so your body pumps out more adrenaline, and it just gets worse and worse.
But yeah - see your doctor. I had a full physical a year ago - got my thyroid checked and everything - it's always best to be sure.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I had panic attacks about 10 years ago and was on a 'calming' un-addicting med for awhile. They can be very scary and these happened frequent enough that I knew what they were.
If you are recovering, your body may be playing silly tricks on you and if your doctor knows your alcohol history he should be alittle more sympathetic to your symptoms.
But shoveling is not a safe sport.

...Im in the dakotas and I was not a happy camper shoveling out my car this morning. I think that groundhog needs counseling, move west or a weight between the ears!
Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Fact: People die from alcohol withdrawal.

Fact: People die shoveling snow.

So it follows that: People who shovel snow while going through alcohol withdrawal may die.

Fact: I am not a doctor.

Fact: You should see one.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just an update

First, I'd like to thank everybody for your advice. This really is a wonderful forum thanks to all of you, and I'm really thankful to be here.

Well, since my doctor wasn't in at the local clinic (closed due to the snow), I checked into the nearest hospital ER. The doctors ordered every possible heart/cardiac test imaginable with the exception of a heart catheter, and after two days in the hospital, I came out with a clean bill of health. Go figure! Still, it was worth it just to have a peace of mind that my heart is still in good shape. However, in the end the doctors were still a bit dumbfounded about the root of my issues, and for some reason they didn't seem to buy into the notion that my symptoms were alcohol related, even upon telling them about how much I drank in the past. Whether or not I have another underlying issue, I can't say, but I still tend to believe that my problems are based upon some sort of an anxiety issue of some kind due to alcohol, even though I've felt very little stress throughout the withdrawal period thus far.

At any rate, thanks once again, and just know that I'm doing very well. I'm now one day from being three weeks sober, and while I've had some ups and downs, I still haven't had the slightest craving for a drink.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Hi,

Glad to hear you took good care of yourself and did the sane/sensible thing! It is so frustrating when doctors can't figure out what is wrong, but that happens all the time, unfortunately. Good that they gave you a clean bill of health.

Congrats on your almost 3 weeks as well!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So glad you went to the ER... and that they didn't find anything wrong. Whew!

Congrats on your 3 weeks and keep truckin'