Notices

Sobriety possible without AA?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety possible without AA?

Has anyone gotten sober on their own without having to attend AA meetings? If so, how did you do it? BTW - really like this site. I believe this will really help me. Thanks to all of you!
Old 02-21-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Many of us here have gotten sober without using AA. There are other programs available, along with counseling and peer support. I'm going on 3 years sober and I did it by going to a detox facility for 6 days, then to an IOP program for 6 weeks. SR is a huge help, too.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi,

Lots of people here have. Just wondering, though, why you are worried about "having to attend" AA meetings.

AA has made getting, and staying, sober much easier for me, and has enhanced my life immeasurably.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Dancer!

I agree with Lexie AA has given me so much in terms of a new group of like-minded friends and SR is great of course but face to face meetings are something really special too.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family, from a fellow Buckeye. Altho I go to my home group meeting sometimes, I do not have a sponsor and did not 'work the steps' as laid out in the big book. I see an addiction counselor once a week and come to SR every day. Yes, it's possible. I'm coming up on 15 months sober next month.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lexie,
I'm not sure why I am hesitant to attend AA meetings. My mother was a recovering alcoholic along with 2 brothers and they all attended AA to get the help they needed. So you would think that I would be willing to try it myself. I'm not sure if I'm ready to "put myself out there" yet or not. I have tried on my own to stop drinking but have failed as so many on SR have. I feel like I'm getting closer to making the decision to get the help I need, however. Thanks for your post. I will let you know how things go.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Be careful with the terms 'sober on your own' as I tried that and failed.....tried again....failed.....rinse and repeat. IMO - you may not need AA to get sober, but you have to acknowledge that for many, doing it 'on your own' does not work, and you need to accept some form of outside help. In my experience, adding face to face meetings with a alcohol counselor is working the best.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Least,
An addiction counselor might be something I should look into. That might be a good step in the right direction. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As you have heard a lot of people have gotten sober without AA. There is a lot of support here too. As a buckeye, you are where AA was founded and there are a gazillion AA groups if you wish to go that route.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I know what you mean, dancer. My first husband has been sober for 31 years with the help of AA. I'd been to a ton of meetings with him (and also with my second husband, who went back to drinking after nearly dying of liver failure), and I've seen so many miracles thanks to AA.

Yet, with all that, I felt in my own mind that AA was the absolute last resort--I figured I could think my way out of it, using my own willpower (as I did when I lost 60 pounds years and years ago).

When my drinking got bad enough, though, and all I saw in my future was drinking and being alone for the rest of my life, a little voice inside said, "What are you WAITING for? You KNOW what works." I quit drinking that week, went to my first meeting (for MYSELF), and have not picked up a drink since. That was two and a half years ago.

Keep an open mind. I see a lot of people here that do struggle and finally go to an AA meeting and embrace the program, and their lives are getting better and better.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My father was 24 years in AA when he passed away sober at 63 years... My brother just got his 25 year coin last month in AA

That my brother and father did it, it made it much easier for me when I had to walk through those doors for the first time.

Yea, you can get sober without AA, sure you can.... Don't you want what mom and 2 brothers had, or have?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

There are a lot of us sober without AA, myself included. Welcome!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Many people get sober without AA.

I have no statistics...but I bet that most people who get sober (long term and happily) do so with some sort of help...counseling, AA or another group program, rehab, etc. My guess is that only a small minority successfully quit, long term, "on their own."

Not saying it doesn't happen; of course it does! But from reading here, and from experience, will power alone isn't enough for most alcoholics. I've quit in the past for months, even years, on will power alone...but was not truly sober and always went back to it...each time worse than the time before, too.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Dancer-

Yes, there are many here on SR who got sober and currently stay sober without AA.

Just always know that AA will always be there for you if you ever want help.

Kjell
Old 02-21-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Dancer!

Although AA has helped many people, I find it is not the path for me. I am on Day 12 and am working through SMART Recovery. They offer online as well as local meetings and other tools. I'm sure there are many other groups out there as well.

The people who have helped me through up to this point the most, are right here in the Sober Recovery Community. I've been checking in daily and SR really helps inspire me and keep me motivated.

hugger :ghug3
Old 02-21-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello buckeye
I have my own unique recovery program but I by no means do it alone. It is definitely possible to be a sober, healthy, mentally and emotionally sound person without AA.
My only suggestion is that you decide you never want to go back to the addictive, using life and make a plan for moving forward in life and sobriety.
The SMART program in Ohio is pretty good if you can get to meetings.
SH
Old 02-21-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Heathen

I also have been sober without AA.

That doesn't mean I didn't have to do tons of recovery work..

I could only get and stay sober when I was willing to do anything to get there.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree with Stevie. Some folks have gotten sober "on their own" but I was never able to stop the binge drinking that way, even with private counseling. I got better only when I had the help of a group. It happened to be AA but I doubt that it has to be AA if some other type of group support is more congenial to the particular person. In view of the the tremendous harm done by this illness and the horrible risks of failure, my personal view is that some sort of group support is less risky. This can be supplemented by the help of a counselor or friend, such as an AA sponsor, although it need not be the latter if there is someone else who is skillful, experienced and well informed.

W.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I'm 20 months happily sober with no formal program. Just some basic support from friends and family and of course, SR.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Mornin Dancer1, Welcome. I guess it depends on your definition of "sober". What you need to realize is that as a true? alcoholic there are alcoholic behaviors that you need to learn about so you can recognise them and make appropriate changes. How or where you learn these things is not important. Myself, I learned them in AA. To me "sober" is not just the absence of alcohol in my system, it is being happy and content in my own skin. Now as a blatant plug for AA, if you like the people you drink with you'll like us. We're the same people!!

All the best, Ron