Notices

getting in when agree to go to rehab/psych

Old 02-19-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

getting in when agree to go to rehab/psych

Hello: Married to an alcoholic with a dual diagnosis of mental illness. Ended up at the hospital yesterday with him where the dr. and he agreed it would be best he was admitted to a psych ward for an evaluation. He signed the consent paper to be transferred and the nurses began calling to find an open place. 8 hours later the nurses tell him (and me) there is no open beds anywhere until Tuesday. His option is to be discharged now because they don't have the right staff or to be admitted but not serviced and go thru detox while he waits for a bed at the psych hospital. He choose to be discharged.
I am surprised that he couldn't get in right away.
Now, who knows if he will be willing to go on Tuesday. And how to start that process over again.
In addition, the nurses told me that even once there they would need him to detox in order to evaluate him for anxiety etc.
He is (or was) willing to go to try to get help for mental health...tougher to get him to go in to rehab. But it seems they must be at the same time.
If this is the case, it seems it might be easier to get into a rehab before Tuesday. Yet, I need to call and find out where and have it lined up so if he agrees he can go right away.
Anyways, what would be good for me to do? I have looked up what facilities take our insurance...should I begin calling them ? and if so what should i be asking. should i look at ones that are out of state as well?
It seems he really needs an inpatient place that is capable of a dual diagnosis.
Any advice is appreciated! Second time that he has been willing and roadblocks come up making it impossible to go at the moment he is willing. Want to be ready the next time around.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cat
I have no experience to share I'm afraid.

I know a dual diagnosis place would be great but I think any bed is generally better than no bed at all...sooner is probably better than later too....

but it really all hinges on what your husband is prepared to do

Here's a national database of rehabs - click your state and enter your home town - you'll find a lot of options there, with brief descriptions and cost indications.

Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator

I hope you'll check out our Family and Friends forums too - you'll find a lot of help and support there too

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 02-19-2011, 10:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Cat -Things are different all over, but in patient treatment is pretty hard to get in to, and / or expensive here.

Most places that treat mental health issues want people detoxed first because they don't want to treat people that are under the influence.

Guess I'm not sure what you're askin. Doesn't hurt to call around. You will get a lot of people that will give you limited info, and will tell you that people can't get forced into treatment. You will hopefully find people that will answer your questions too. Call...ask your questions. Use the list Dee gave you, and you will also find other resources once you begin calling. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree that a bed is better than no bed and you should try to get him in where ever you can. As far as I know most places deal with both mental health and substance abuse. A lot of people with substance abuse issues also have mental health issues. A least I do. I would just call around and tell them basically what you told us. That he has been ready to go but then you cant find a place with an open bed and tell them what his issues are and ask them if they are able to assist you. I would look in and out of state just to get a feel for what your options are. I agree that waiting until Tuesday is very risky. Who knows what he'll want when Tuesday comes around. HTH