Notices

Newcomer

Old 02-19-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer

New here, not new to recovery.

I am an alcoholic 2-weeks sober. I've done this before. Quitting drinking is the easy part, staying sober very difficult.

In the past two years, my life and marriage has started to unravel due to my actions while drinking. I am what you would call a functional alcoholic. I'm able to stay sober 8-hours/day and be successful in my career. After work and on the weekends, watch out! Have been a problem drinker all my adult life.

Now that my marriage of 19-years has been damaged to the point we don't know if we'll stay together, I have embarked on a new sober path. If nothing else, for myself.

My world crashing all around, I feel better taking positive steps. I recognized that my continued drinking with all that's going on would have taken me down a path to certain destruction.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Dave!
I am glad you have chosen sobriety while you deal with difficult personal matters. I hope as you discover recovery you will see that sober people really are living peaceful, happy lives. If you have some reading time I suggest Your Sacred Self by Wayne Dyer.
Take care
SH
Old 02-19-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Dave
My life was a mess but stopping drinking helped me to be able to turn it around - this place helped a lot too

good to have you with us

D
Old 02-19-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Dave - glad you found us and glad you've decided to get sober. Put your sobriety first and take it one day at a time.

No matter what happens in your relationship, drinking is just not worth it in the long run. Great support here - it's made all the difference for me.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm new here to and have been sober 29 days. I really find this place helpful and supportive. Hope you do to!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome dave! Congrats on 2 weeks. If you've done this before and it hasn't worked please think about what you will do different this time. Good luck and keep us posted.

Congrats on 29 days Tigger!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR....

Have you considered getting local support?
AA is what I use...but there are others.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome and congrats on your 2weeks.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome and words of support.

Since I quit, I feel so much better. Liberated. I come home from work and can actually do things I wouldn't before, like go out, be able to drive a car, etc.

Thinking clearly now for the first time in years. Its nice to wake up and not feel like crap for half the day.

Now I have to work on my relationships. My addictions had put up a wall around me. Over the years I have withdrawn from all my friends, family and neighbors. I don't know how to rebuild the relationships I had before.

I only hope its not too late for my wife. She told me last week its over, but neither one has made the first step toward divorcing. I don't want this, I love her so much.