Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

I'm new and know nothing about signs of drug use.. Advice or help welcome

Old 02-19-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I really don't have any experience with drugs so some of this may sound really stupid but I'm hoping to get some help here. My boyfriend is a recovering drug addict. When we first met, I knew that he smoked weed but I knew of nothing else. Now I know that he also did cocaine back then. We lost contact and 10 years went by.

We met up again and he told me of his past drug use. He told me that he was addicted to opiates for most of those 10 years. He was in rehab a couple times but it took him going to prison for 8 months to get him off. After getting out, he had a morphine patch one time, which was his favorite, and that scared him enough to not do it again. He also told me that after he got out, he used meth a couple of times but he was off of drugs altogether.

Time goes by and after talking to his mom, I was convinced that he was still using drugs, probably meth because there were at least some signs that he had been making it back when we first got together. We talked about it and he disclosed even more to me. He said that he'd been using meth when we first got together but stopped because he realized that he didn't want to lose me the same way that his opiate addiction caused him to lose everything in his life. I believed him and stayed with him but told him that it would take a lot for me to trust him.

He stopped leaving the house for several hours all the time. He broke off all contact with quite a few friends that he had. There were no more constant phone calls, him leaving suddenly, or being gone a long time for small errands. But I never stopped worrying that he's still using.

Every once in awhile, he'll come home with this very weird smell on him. This is probably the one sign that causes me to worry because I don't know what the smell is therefore, I assume it's some kind of drug. It's a very weird smell to describe but the first thing that comes to mind is flat soda and a strong aluminum smell. Most of the time if I smell it, it's on his clothes and breath. He can just walk into the room and I can smell it. It stays on his breath for hours. I've asked him about it and he says that he doesn't know what it is.

I know nothing about drugs, how they are made, used, what they smell like, or what kinds of effects they have on a person so I don't know if I'm just so worried that I try to find his drug use when there is none or if he really is using. Most times, i believe that he's not using. He doesn't really have much of a chance. But there are those occasional times when he may. His behavior isn't drastically different although I do notice some changes at times (but i don't know if that's me being paranoid and worrying when I shouldn't be).

If any one has any advice or thoughts, I'd appreciate it.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can only say that "he really doesn't have much of a chance" to use drugs would not reassure me. I don't think you are being paranoid. I am not familiar with the smell you describe but my daughter used to smoke pot off of foil and aluminum cans - however, the smell of the pot was so strong I could not smell burnt aluminum or anything. Sorry you are in the position of having to wonder about it.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your response.

I say that he doesn't really have a chance to use drugs because we are together nearly 24/7. One of us may go to the grocery store alone but it's usually quick. About once every week or two, he may go off with his friend or go to his mom's house. Those are the only significant times we spend apart.

I've smelled pot before and that's not what I smell. I think the reason that I say aluminum is that it just smells like flat soda maybe that came from a can. It doesn't smell burnt at all. Just very strong.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My husband would start excusing himself to the restroom, a lot. He would complain about stomach problems, or what have you, and use in the bathroom. He would take multiple showers a day.
He has been in and out of recovery for 3 years.
He also used to leave his drugs in the car, then find excuses to go out to the car.
Check his pupils, if they are too large or too small that can be a sign.
Also, I hope I am not posting something too bad here, but most drugs interfere with a man's sex drive. Not being able to climax is an indicator, as well as shrunken testicles.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know what you mean by this off smell, really not a smell that I would have related to drugs, I guess because of the smell that pot has. My exah was smoking crack, with it would come this smell. Hard to really pin point and explain the smell. What wasn't hard though was his actions and behavour when he was using, there was no guessing game or smell needed to know he was higher than a kite.

It is great that you are asking questions, something is not sitting right with you and you are reconizing it!

Rose
Old 02-20-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melissa4now View Post

I say that he doesn't really have a chance to use drugs because we are together nearly 24/7. One of us may go to the grocery store alone but it's usually quick. About once every week or two, he may go off with his friend or go to his mom's house. Those are the only significant times we spend apart.
Just curious, are either of you employed?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Melissa, Welcome to SR!

You've gotten some pretty good information so far.....keep reading, keep posting! Lots of great experience, strength and hope (ES&H) here!

Best,
HG