Notices

Feeling a little crazy

Old 02-18-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling a little crazy

I feel really dumb right now but I am totally nervous about going to a meeting. I have been in rehab and now outpatient rehab but I haven't gone to an actual N/A meeting yet. I am so nervous about it. I'm not completely sure why. I guess I am just nervous about what I will find when I get there. It'll be at a place I haven't been to with people I don't know. I'm kinda glad it's people I don't know but it also makes me nervous at the same time. I feel so dumb and nervous at the same time. It seems like this is a stupid thing to worry about. Has anyone else been this nervous? I feel really alone right now.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Hi Tigger....I can't help you with your question, as I don't know the answer. It gets slow in here on Friday nights...but someone Will be along that can help.

I just wanted to welcome you to SR...and didn't want you to feel alone.

Keep reading...it helps!
Old 02-18-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Tim

I've never been to a meeting, but I think what you're feeling is completely normal

I hope some of the AA/NA guys will pop up soon

D
Old 02-18-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have never been to a meeting either. BUT I see lots of suggestions to bring a friend with you the first time if you are nervous.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It amazes me that some of us do the most insane and outrageous stuff when we drink and drug and don't think twice about it, but then get nervous when we reach out for recovery.

There is nothing to be nervous about. We are just a bunch of addicts/alcoholics trying to get better and help each other out along the way. Chances are that you will meet some very nice people along the path of your recovery.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm not that familiar with NA meetings, but I would imagine that in a lot of ways they are similar to AA meetings.

Here's a link about what to expect at your first AA meeting. Maybe that will help to dispel some of the mystery.

Is there someone else from your outpatient program who might be willing to go with you?
Old 02-19-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know anyone well enough that I'd want to do something with them. Also, one of the rules of the outpatient program is that we don't talk or see each other outside of the program while we are in the program. Would it be ok if I just brought a friend who doesn't have a problem with drugs/alcohol?
Old 02-19-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Sure, as long as it's an open meeting. Usually the meeting list will indicate which meetings are "open". Closed meetings are for people who are there only for their own recovery.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Being nervous is normal -- normal, what a concept!

Don't sweat it. Waling through those doors is a hard thing for anyone -- the first time.

Just wait until you can't wait to get back, which is often after that first meeting.

Show up about 10 minutes early, shake a couple of hands. Tell them you're just out of rehab. See what happens. One, I bet they know someone who has been there (maybe themselves); two, they'll tell you what to expect at the meeting; three, you'll never find as many strangers glad to see you; four, you'll want to come back for more.

If someone offers you they're phone number, take it. If someone asks you out for a cup of coffee, go. Why will they do all of this? Because it keeps them sober. It makes them all warm and fuzzy inside. In a few months, you'll feel the same thing.

Heck, you'll probably want to show up early looking for that new guy or gal just getting out of rehab, so you can shake their hand, chat them up, tell them what to expect in a meeting, give them a phone number and ask them out for a cup of coffee afterwards.

I guarantee you this: You will never walk through a door and feel so welcomed, accepted, people who are glad to see ya, slap ya on the back, tell ya to have a chair, get ready for a ride...recovering drunks and druggies are the best lot of folks I know. Welcome aboard. Keep coming back to SR.

MB