Notices

selecting a sponsor...

Old 02-18-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

selecting a sponsor...

anyone have pointers and experiences to share about selecting a sponsor for sobriety? I don't think I'm ready to do so - but that also makes me wonder if I should ask someone to sponsor me now - or should I wait a bit?
I am day 11. stressing b/c I couldn't get to a mtg yesterday and today is going to be iffy. I have a pretty big phone interview this afternoon and I'm on edge.... is this when the sponsor call comes into play? I think it does...

signed,
sponsorless
Old 02-18-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

I have alot of the same question. 8 years ago I was in AA and I found a sponsor , basically what seemed to be the guy closest to my age ( although he was still 10 years my senior ) thinking that it would need to be someone I can somewhat associate with if I'm going to depend on their help.

Now , after going to a specific group 2 times a week for the past month, and 7 days sober ( I had 32 but then slipped last firday and got my Chip wet ), I still am unsure how/when or who I should ask to be a sponsor. All I really have is a list of call numbers with a letter beside them letting me know they are sponsors or temporary sponsors if needed.

Perhaps just grab a temp sponsor first ?
Old 02-18-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In my opinion, the sooner the better. At least that's what I tried to do and what worked for me. I went to 5-10 meetings first. Tried to listen and found a guy that seemed to have what I wanted. So I asked him........good luck!
Old 02-18-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

are there any sponsors out there that can help with this - how did you know you had the right match with your sponsee?

what should us new folks look for?
Old 02-18-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I don't have experience with AA. I copied a Thread about this below. I'm sure there have been a lot of Threads about this, but this was a recent one I remembered. Good luck.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...standards.html
Old 02-18-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

We actually discussed this very subject tonight in an AA meeting.

The suggestion that was made , very strongly and very clearly was to pick someone in your home group or a group you frequent regularly that has many years. ( 10+ )

The truth being that alcoholism has such a low recovery rate ( any addiction , not just alcohol ) and it's so easy for many poeple to fall back in after 3-5 years. That it's very important to pick a sponsor that has many years under their belt and has been steady in AA for that long.

Of course nothing is concrete and nothing is right for everyone person , but the person who mentioned this talked to me about it after the meeting and made alot of sense. Even gave me the number to his 30 yr sober sponsor.

So if nothing else , perhaps ask the chair person of the meeting if they have any suggestions of long timers who have been there for a long time.

Good luck.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

@enoy - thanks for that advice. I think I'm going to reach out to a guy with 30+ in my weekday nooner group. I'll see him almost every day of the week.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A sponsor is someone who takes you through the steps outlined in the BB who has had a sponsor who has taken them through the steps in the BB.

If you have the luxury to search around, then find someone who has something that you want, typically an inner peace, joy, and serenity. However, I believe that any program of recovery is a program of action. I would find someone soon and start working on the steps asap. You can always switch sponsors or work with another one if you think it is best for you.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm glad you are interested ...and here is info for you

Alcoholics Anonymous : Pamphlets

I suggest everyone read that before entering into a
sponsor/sponsee relationship......that's what I do when
I agree to take on a new sponsee...
Old 02-19-2011, 04:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hitekredneck View Post
what should us new folks look for?
Somebody that has had a spiritual awakening as the result of the Steps, who can show you the specific and precise directions for having that experience for yourself.