Notices

Finally in a Right Place

Old 02-17-2011, 10:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
All in a day's work

Finally in a Right Place

Hello everyone!

I sure am glad I found this place. I have been lurking for awhile now and I've tried to quit (half attempts) a few times in the past, with a strong will to do so the last couple of weeks. I went 4 days, then caved... 3 days, then caved... today it's been two days since my last drink and I am feeling really good about it.

I've been a daily drinker for many years (since my early twenties, I'm now 34) and I hate what the drinking has done to my life. While I've been able to accomplish some great stuff, I only imagine how much more I could have accomplished and how much more I could have gotten out of life if not for the booze.

I'm looking forward to sobriety and all of the awesome things in store for me. I just pray that my resolve will pull me through these first weeks.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Ainokea
You'll certainly find a lot of support here

D
Old 02-17-2011, 10:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! There's lots of great support here.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome. Just do it! have a plan and stick to it because I can tell you it is so so so worth it! I am around 50 days and decided end of December this was it, got all my ducks in a row, vitamins, a doctor and off i went on this new adventure called really living life. Make sure you get support for detox it makes it easier and you ensure nothing bad happens. I started drinking around 20 and then it just increased I am now late 30"s - did some amazing things, but as the drinking increased the time between these great things became less and less. I found for me having a plan and support, this site is great really worked. Also trust me you end up looking better, loosing weight, having a spring in your step. sometimes I get down, but I think that is called living and really feeling emotions. Lots of support here and I am hoping you "Just do it" I promise from the bottom of my heart you will not look back!!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! There is a lot of support here, make use of it to help you stay sober. I come here every day, to offer support and to read of others' struggles, which reminds me of why I quit drinking. I'm glad you found us.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ainokea View Post
Hello everyone!

I sure am glad I found this place. I have been lurking for awhile now and I've tried to quit (half attempts) a few times in the past, with a strong will to do so the last couple of weeks. I went 4 days, then caved... 3 days, then caved... today it's been two days since my last drink and I am feeling really good about it.

I've been a daily drinker for many years (since my early twenties, I'm now 34) and I hate what the drinking has done to my life. While I've been able to accomplish some great stuff, I only imagine how much more I could have accomplished and how much more I could have gotten out of life if not for the booze.

I'm looking forward to sobriety and all of the awesome things in store for me. I just pray that my resolve will pull me through these first weeks.
Hey,

I just registered and read your post & just wanted to let you know that I am also 34 and I have been drinking heavily since my early twenties as well! I have been able to accomplish some great stuff too, but like you I wonder what I could have and can possibly do in the future.

I am so much happier when I am not drinking.

Today, 2/18/11 is day one for me.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome and yes, you are in the right place! Take
things one day at a time and the days will add up!
SR is open 24/7 so there is always someone here
whenever you need it!
Old 02-18-2011, 02:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...you too can win over alcohol...

Welcome...
Old 02-18-2011, 04:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you too Hitman

D
Old 02-18-2011, 04:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey there! I am 33 and have been a drinker since high school though I've had some short stints of not drinking like when I was first married and during my two pregnancies. I became a daily drinker 4 years ago and have only recently tried to quit for good. Almost everything I had accomplished with my life was taken away because of drinking. I now have nothing besides my life and I want to accomplish things again. I have a feeling that my motivation will return with some sober time. Day 2 for me...we can do it.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Ainokea and Hitman, You'll find lots of support here. I found in a bunch of times when trying to quit that days 3,4 and 5 were the hardest. You start to feel a little better and think that maybe there isn't such a big problem after all. Stick with it, I promise it gets a little better each day.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome

You will find alot of good support here. Have you looked into AA? I heard Hawaii has great AA meetings on the beach. Maybe something to look into...as AA can really benefit your recovery.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Ainokea - I can relate to thinking about "how much more I could have accomplished" without alcohol. The mornings lost, the money spent, and all the ways I avoided life with the help of a drink.

If we can do it, so can you...... one day at a time.