Charlie Sheen ex. of how interventions DONT work

Old 02-17-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Charlie Sheen ex. of how interventions DONT work

SO..he's been "forced " into rehab by his handlers, the show, etc.He manages to say that rehabs are "to invasive' for him because he's so famous.Convinces everyone he can do it at home with therapist, sober coach, etc. HIS way..anyone else see this as a problem?
I heard him on the radio 2 days ago minimizing everything, saying he's eady to come back to work NOW..is irritated with those who want him to take off more time.
About sobriety he says"It's just not me,,I was sober for 5 years and bored outta my mind".Oh that's not good..

The best doctors, most loving and supportive family (his father like many of us, nearly went off the deep end trying to "save" him)money and adoration can't make someone SURRENDER...and without that you got nothin

Still have lots of hope for ol Charlie, but until HE wants it..it ain't gonna happen.......
Old 02-17-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well I totally feel that one can recover through therapy. In fact, I wish I could get a therapist to come to my home. The 12 Steps are not required to get sober.

He is probably still very sick right now, I don't think you have any idea of what is going on in his mind.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Pretty sure he's not real interested in sobriety from those comments...I'm going off what he actually just said 2 days ago..not pretending to know what's in his mind..going off his ACTIONS,and I never said a word about the 12 steps.. but thanks for the tude..
Old 02-17-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm convinced that when they air my story on lifetime, XAH willbe played by Charlie Sheen, I will be played by Sandra Bullock. LOL! Love her sense of humor and xah is as messed up as Charlie is.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It sure does appear that Charlie is going or gone down the path we are all to familar with, if all is true as it is being said his battle is going to be no different than anyone elses even with a big pocket of money. I don't think though because it is Charlie Sheen butting against an intervention is it any reason to give proof that interventions don't work, like most or all of the resourses out there to get help, what works for one might not work for another.

Rose
Old 02-18-2011, 03:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It'll catch up with him sooner or later then he'll cry about how he should have stopped.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I remember feeling that exact same way-denial. "I'm not that bad." "Why won't everyone just leave me alone to drink? I'm not hurting anyone but myself." I couldn't see that I was hurting loved ones and that my actions hurt everyone around me. My family forced me into detox after detox and a long term rehab. Bottom line, I wasn't ready to get sober. I didn't want it and I drank as soon as I got out every time. He will find his bottom somewhere, hopefully it isn't the ultimate bottom...
Old 02-18-2011, 06:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm not one to keep up with celebrity gossip at all. I rarely watch TV and do good to read the Wall Street Journal a couple times a week to get my news. But I have to say that Two and a Half Men is one of my all-time favorite shows....yes, it can be downright crass but I think it's hilarious and the writers are comic geniuses! ($20 says keepinon agrees with me here.) HOWEVER, I always thought (until recently) that Charlie Sheen was still sober and it breaks my heart that he (and everyone around him) is going through this hell once again. I just pray he finds healing in whatever way works for him.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

He manages to say that rehabs are "to invasive' for him because he's so famous.

this reminded me of what your daughter said, that rehab was not conducive to her sobriety.
oh my, what can you say about addicts?
they are a strange and funny lot.

oops, I am one!

hehehehehehe

Beth
Old 02-18-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

if you look at a picture of Charlie a few years ago compared to now, I can see his "lack of boredom" in his face...he is aging very quickly.

I really don't think he has much interest in getting real help and I'm sorry that he feels he is so entitled to give constant public opinions. i don't have much hope for him at this point.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yup, I think he was perfectly happy while everyone around him was yelling'Do something! we've got to DO something!"
Yes Wicked the comment reminded me alot of my daughter..and of the other daughters on here who are still so terminally unique..(and sons, and husbands..)
I also don't think interventions are always bad/don't work..this is just a perfect example of how it doesn't sometimes...
I too, hope he hits his botom before he dies. but ultimately it really is his choice
Old 02-18-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Good News: Interventions can and do work when the individual has reached their bottom and is ready to give their all to finding recovery.

Bad News: Interventions do not work when the individual is not ready to give their all.

Now when I found recovery, there really wasn't anything yet like 'intervention' and AA was the only game in town back then. One of the first things that stuck with me that I heard in the meetings was:

"AA is not for those that need it, AA is for those that want it."

You know that is still true today, and it's not just true for AA, but for all the Recovery Programs out there.

I do believe it can be harder for a 'celebrity' in some respects as it is like the whole world is watching their evcery move, between the paparazzie, the tabloid newspapers and the tabloid tv shows, they are in a fish bowl. They really do not have the anonymity that I and others like me had and have.

However, that being said, Mr Sheen's comments do show that he is not ready for recovery, unless those comments were made while he still had toxins in his system, and maybe, just maybe this will be his 'awakening.'

J M H O

I have sent out prayers for healing for him and his family.

Love and hugs,
Old 02-18-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think it's just sad and shows that all the money, all the love, and all the rehab/detoxes/interventions aren't going to work until the A is ready to do something about their addiction. I do believe that some of the rehab tools sneak in to the back of the brain and can be recalled when the person is ready, just like things I learned from IOP and AA before my addiction to crack are still with me.

I'll keep Charlie and all the other A's in my prayers.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-18-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Cocky isn’t conducive to recovery.

This is a good one for the file.

oh, that reminds me, i need to add a bon mot from lexie cat to my signature.

Beth
Old 02-18-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
tam

being I watch the show every monday night as I must say it is hilarious, Im thinking Im still an enabler ...
I do agree though with him looking horrible recently and rather quickly too, you can see the addiction taking its toll on his body.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by impurrfect View Post
i think it's just sad and shows that all the money, all the love, and all the rehab/detoxes/interventions aren't going to work until the a is ready to do something about their addiction.
exactly!!!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

I heard today Charlie Sheen is reaching out to Lindsay Lohan offering words of wisdom?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I like Charlie Sheen alot, his dad and brother too.
He does seem to have aged 20-25 years over the past 5 years.
Sheen is starting to get that drawn in look to his cheeks.

Ya know the more I hear about him, I wonder why his agent or publicist or his "entourage" are not at least keeping his mouth shut. Geez.
He looks bad, he sounds crazy and I pray his bottom comes quick.

Beth

Last edited by wicked; 02-18-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: why....to edit of course.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

step ahead of disaster

One step ahead of disaster. Looking at that scnerio right now. They're just as cocky. They won't take advice. And seems to be a do what you want thrill junky. And like Lindsay Lohan our problem one "doesn't do paperwork"-does what ever they can get away with. Unlike these celebs he does not have the finances to clean up himself or a catastrophe.

The scary part is that Sheen other than having his show shut down on purpose has not really missed or messed up the production of his show(that we know of). He's headed for disaster but until he gets there or suffers a motivating consequence he'll go on as usual. Besides money I get the impression he has some SERIOUS enabling going on but his money can enable anything without them.

Onething I noticed about Sheen is that he's been on the same show for years so he probably has the same circle of coworkers and friends. Same for our problem one. Has had the same friends for decades. Also his attitude got worse at his last job which held over a decade. Could I say familiarity breeds contempt and contempt breeds ignorance?

I've seen too many people get with crap for decades of their life. One day they'll learn, it might be that micro second before the reaper takes their head but they'll learn. Just hope they don't wind up introducing the reaper to anyone else.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I actually enjoy his show. Re Interventions don't work - well that depends - If the addicted person chooses recovery, they work, if they do not - well nothing works. I find Charlie's comments are all so self serving - no apologies re putting his cast and crew out of a job -- it is all about his remedy for boredom - and excuses to use.