Notices

Meth Use

Old 02-17-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meth Use

Hi, I've been smoking meth daily for about 15-20 years. I have functioned well in society, I graduated college, take care of my son and have a small cleaning business. I would like to stop using and that is why I am here.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome. I used crank for over two years. Quit long before the internet was invented. I'm here now for alcohol addiction.

Coming to SR is a great start to stopping, Jizz, but meth may make take more drastic recovery methods and strong support, such as narcotics anonymous. Maybe even rehab. Are you willing to do whatever it takes to stop?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am...outpatient rehab but not inpatient. Cant' afford that
Old 02-17-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Welcome Jizz!

I've "chased the dragon" a time or two before myself.

I'm saying this with kindess, but one cannot do meth for 15 - 20 years and function well in society. It's illegal, unhealthy, and dangerous. I know from experience.

I went the AA way and it saved my life and removed the obession to drink/drug. ...but I'm not special and it can work for you too.

Keep posting and read around here on SR. We're here to help.

Kjell
Old 02-17-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well I have done it for that long and yes I have functioned in society...you might say functioning addict.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I don't know anything about meth, but the folks on this forum probably do. Give it a look.

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 02-17-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Jizz View Post
Well I have done it for that long and yes I have functioned in society...you might say functioning addict.
I always functioned in society too. I not only worked the entire time I drank/drugged, but I got promotion after promotion after promotion, had girlfriends, went on vacations, bought cars, etc...

I still do all that stuff, but now I'm sober and my life has improved dramatically! ...and I'm no longer a menace b/c of my addictions and selfish behavior.

Most of us function in society even in our active addictions.

Kjell
Old 02-17-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

My firsthand experience with meth is minimal....but I saw it destroy two friends within a year - you should count yourself lucky, man.

I hope SR can be as helpful to you as it has been for me
D
Old 02-17-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can't understand how someone using Meth for that long with it's horroble ingredience even lives that long. The substance sounds more like a making of a bomb.

Sodium hydroxide - aka, Lye

Classified as a corrosive, sodium hydroxide is one of the main chemicals in drain cleaner and is also used in aluminum etching and to create biodiesel. It’s also used by ranchers, serial killers, and city workers who must dispose of road kill to dissolve dead bodies. Carcasses are placed in a sealed chamber with sodium hydroxide and water, turning the body into a coffee-like liquid.

Anhydrous Ammonia

This substance, used in chemical fertilizer and as a commercial refrigerant, has extremely destructive effects on humans. Breathing the vapor can cause severe irritation and permanent damage to the lungs, throat, and eyes.

Because Anhydrous (meaning “without water”) Ammonia seeks out water and causes severe burns, any body part that comes into contact with it should be flushed with water for at least 15 minutes to remove the ammonia from the skin. One man even had his buttocks eaten away by improperly handling this stuff.

Iodine

Iodine is a natural element and helpful to the body in small amounts. But taken in large amounts, iodine can becomes toxic.

Extremely high does of iodine can limit the function of the thyroid. It takes roughly 4 bottles of iodine tincture to produce 2-3 grams of meth.

Matches - Red Phosphorus

By combining red phosphorus and iodine, you can easily create the highly controlled substance Hydriotic Acid which is an essential ingredient in making meth. Creating 2-3 grams of meth requires about 4 big boxes of matches. Here’s a better use of match sticks.

Ephedrine

The use of ephedrine in making methamphetamines is the main reason why many sinus medications like Sudafed, with active ingredient of ephedrine, are under lock and key at grocery stores and pharmacies now.

Ephedrine causes the brain to release dopamine, a chemical naturally produced by the body that evokes feelings of elation on the same level as sex, food, and other rewards necessary for species survival.

Ephedrine’s effect of releasing dopamine is thought to be the reason why people become so addicted to meth. The problem is that by artificially creating dopamine chemically, meth users eventually lose the ability to feel happiness at all.

Ether

Once called “sweet vitriol” because of its hypnotic effect, this highly flammable substance is used as an anesthetic agent - especially in third world countries where more expensive anesthesia is not available. While inhaling the compound, patients could undergo complete surgical procedures while otherwise awake without feeling pain or concern.

Drano

The product label warning says it all:

DANGER: MAY BURN EYES AND SKIN ON CONTACT. HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED. Avoid contact with body and clothing. TOXIC GAS MAY FORM IF MIXED WITH OTHER CHEMICALS. If gases are released, leave immediately and ventilate area. FIRST AID: Give Immediately: EYES AND SKIN: Flush with water for 20 minutes. Remove affected clothing. IF SWALLOWED: Rinse mouth and drink a glass of water or milk. Do not induce vomiting. THEN SEEK MEDICAL AID.

Brake Fluid

When working with brake fluid, be careful not to spill it on your car as it will eat away the paint and chrome. You’ve also got to be careful using brake fluid around other household chemicals because its high concentration of polyethylene glycol can cause it to ignite in a violent fireball. But meth users don’t mind putting it into their body for the tradeoff of a high.

Lighter Fluid - Butane

Starting to see why meth labs blow up so frequently? This highly flammable liquefied gas is used in the cooking process. When inhaled directly, butane can cause drowsiness, narcosis, asphyxia; cardiac arrhythmia and frostbite, which can result in instant death from Asphyxiation, Acute toxicity and ventricular fibrillation. When it’s ingested, lighter fluid causes gastrointestinal problems, lethargy, diarrhea, and in high enough doses, death.

Hydrochloric acid

This highly corrosive liquid is used to remove rust and iron-oxide from steel, leather processing, household cleaning and to produce organic compounds such as PVC pipe and polyurethane. It also makes up the majority of the gastric acid in human digestive fluid. In high concentrations, hydrochloric acid will literally eat away human flesh.

Batterlies

lithium taken out of batteries.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Jizz....I smoked meth daily for many years and was able to learn enough about my addiction and how to get clean and stay clean in outpatient rehab. I took what I learned from there and was able to stop using, lose the desire to use and find a new way to live. They introduced me to Narcotics Anonymous. Said to keep going to meetings until you want to .....then do what you want.

I have been clean and in recovery for over 5 years.
Today life is enjoyable and fulfilling.

Welcome!

Grateful to be free,
Missy
Old 02-17-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think you have made a great decision J. My MIL has been using meth for the past 20 years or so, but she still hasn't come to the conclusion that it is a problem. So by deciding you want to quit is a big part of the battle. It's funny because my MIL was a great housecleaner for a while, but she always seemed to be cleaning between the hours of 10PM and 5AM...but she was meticulous even if she was cleaning a floor with a toothbrush!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jizz, I saw your other thread in the Substance Abuse forum...I replied to you there.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm happy to say I haven't used since my last relapse...I have not gone to any treatment, meetings or support groups. I take 3 essential vitamins L-Lysine essential for Immune strength and Nervous system function, B-12 for energy and nerve function, and Ginkgo Biloba for memory...meth does your memory devastation.
I drink a gallon of sassy h2o (try to) a day, I take daily walks with my dog and go to the bookstore to read before I pick up my son.
When I feel like smoking I do a breathing exercise that is not only healthy it works. Take a deep breath in through the nose for 7 seconds, hold your breath for 28 seconds and blow out through the mouth for 14 seconds...10 breaths.
If I'm still having difficulty relaxing I take a super hot bath followed by a cool bath...very relaxing.
I know I still have a long road ahead but I am damn proud of myself and never want to be a prisoner to the devil again!!!!
At night I write in my journal and ask the higher power to help me in whatever difficulty I faced that day...I review the reasons why I want to quit everynight before bed...which I don't sleep very well these days, I have terrifying dreams...even dreams of smoking...it haunts me, but I know this is part of the withdrawal so they will end someday...I HOPE.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Looks like you are active in your recovery and doing well. That's great. I beat my meth addiction years ago, but had to overdose before the message sunk in. Glad you didn't have to suffer through that. I know how difficult it must be, so congratulations and much respect.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're doing well J

D