Notices

Recovery

Old 02-16-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery

I have not had a drink in 11 days. Yes I am sober, but definitely not recovering if that makes any sense. I know that AA is a huge help and support system for many people, but right now it is not an option for me. I have a social phobia, and in the past the way I would deal with it is to drink before going into any social situations. At this fragile time, the anxiety of placing myself in a room full of people I don't know is just not an option for me.

I know there are so many things I need to work on, because just not drinking isn't enough. I need to start the healing process and work on undoing the physical and psychological damage I have done to myself.

Is it possible to work on recovery without having to subject myself to a room full of strangers? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You will get so many different angles on this. AA is a great program and has helped countless people recover for decades...but it's not for everyone. I personally don't do AA. Go to a few meetings and see how you feel about it. It's not like you have to walk up to a podium and spill your guts, you can just listen.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Although AA is the recovery process I utilize I also realize it is not the only recovery resource out there. Here is a link to some of the other recovery methods and resources. I hope you find it useful.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html
Old 02-16-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Make an appointment to talk to a counselor face to face. It's not a room full of people but only one person who has heard it all before, nothing would shock them, and most likely have been in your shoes before. They are there to help.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

AA is not mandatory Indecisive...although it's saved the lives of a few of my closest friends

I've never been to AA but I have put a lot of time and effort into my recovery. I find SR to have been a great help and very useful to me, but everyone's different - others have found they need more than this forum....

Whatever you decide I hope you'll check out the link nandm posted too

D

Last edited by Dee74; 02-16-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Indecisive, I couldn't handle going to AA meetings and the sponsor deal largely due to the social anxiety as well so instead I read/studied the AA literature and practiced my own interpretation of the 12 steps and it's worked for me for 3.5 yrs. I barely left my house except to go to work the first year I wasn't drinking, and I still don't socialize much but I'm a much happier and healthier person now and that makes it worthwhile. I did have someone to talk to on a daily basis that had given up alcohol 20+ yrs earlier and that I think was of the most benefit to me and that is what AA or other recovery groups can do for you. I didn't happen upon SR until almost 2 yrs into my journey, I would have used SR a LOT if I had, there is lots of support here and people that will listen 24/7.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you (17 days sober) and suffer from anxiety so I'm afraid to attend AA as well. I agree with Jabba...the best thing I did was find an addiction therapist who told me about online sites and is working with me to get to the underlying issues for my depression, anxiety, and low self esteem that made me drink in the first place and have made all of those issues worse by doing so. My thoughts are with you and I can't give any great advice, but there are so many people on this site with the sobriety and wisdom to do so. Hang in there...this is the first day where I've felt the dark cloud start to lift.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know that admitting to myself that I was an alcoholic was one of the hardest things I ever did, then admitting it to someone else was the second hardest, then admitting it to a third person, my counselor, got easier......and the weight was lifted off my back.......then the recovery could begin.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think you'd be surprised how non-stressful AA meetings are. And you don't have to talk in front of the group or say a thing if you don't feel like it.

I certainly recognize many people can get sober and stay that way without AA, but it has been a huge help to me. If you call the main number for AA, you could ask if someone could take you to a meeting. It might make you more comfortable if you had someone with you who could explain what's going on. Just a thought. A lot of people find that once they get some solid sobriety their anxiety level goes WAY down. My own anxiety was very much tied in with my drinking.

I also second Judy's suggestion of reading some of the AA literature. You might want to start with the Big Book. Here's an online version.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There are lots of ways to stay sober. I see an addiction counselor once a week, just the two of us, and it's a lot of help. No, you don't have to be in a room full of people to recover. You just have to be willing give your best effort to your recovery.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Indecisive

A counselor is definitely a great first step. I suffered from panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and depression all my life.

But walking into an AA meeting is a safe, benign experience. All you have to do is propel yourself through the door.

But there's an easier way. You found SR on the Internet and you can find a phone number of someone in AA to call. Tell them your concerns, your fears, just a little bit about yourself.

The best thing you could do is tell the person on the other end of the phone that social situations are extremely difficult for you. I wouldn't be surprised if they volunteer to show up at your door, talk to you, offer you a ride, even hold your hand.

It's just a phone call. You can hang up. You can take what's offered. Give it a try.

The ironic beauty of AA is that you will probably be doing the person on the other end of the phone a huge favor.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Indecisive View Post

Is it possible to work on recovery without having to subject myself to a room full of strangers? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

From personal experience, it's definitely possible to get started. I don't know if I'll eventually want/need a support group but I haven't used AA or anything like it yet. When I got started I did have a therapist (still do) and used this board as a resource. You will probably want someone to talk to.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I truly appreciate all of the wisdom and feedback I received regarding my question. I have decided that for now I will read the big book and also start looking for a counselor. I feel it is within my comfort zone to talk to somebody one on one. I will continue to use SR for support as I feel very comfortable here and there is so much to learn, and SR is such a supportive community. Thank you all!