Notices

Admitted today that I'm an alcoholic

Old 02-16-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Admitted today that I'm an alcoholic

The dreaded yearly doctor's visit was this morning and I knew from talking to my therapist, I finally had to tell her the truth. Every other year, I go on a diet before the appointment, go a couple of days without drinking, and always put on the persona that everything is fine and I'm doing GREAT. I told the truth today about my depression and that I was seeing a therapist for my addiction to alcohol. When she asked if I was an alcoholic, I said "Yes." I was skaky, on the verge of tears, but it was such a revelation for me to be honest and it felt so good. I have a few medical issues going on but I'm very thankful today that I am finally treating one of them. Thanks to this forum and all of your posts for getting me past another hurdle to help me stay sober.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go! I am proud of you for admitting you are an alcoholic! I did the same thing with my doctor and it felt great to get it off my chest. She is very helpful and supportive in my recovery. It is always great to have more people in your network.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It must have been scary, but you did a great job! I'm still working on saying it aloud. (Unrelated note: I love your profile picture. Golden retrievers are the best.)
Old 02-16-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Congratulations! That is great news.

For me coming clean with my doctor was an important step. It made me feel less guilty, and it means that when I go in with symptoms she'll know what to consider in light of my past usage.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It was very scary especially because I've known her for 10 years and have been lying to her all of this time. She made me feel so good about myself for opening up though and because of that, it feels like that dark cloud has lifted (it's day 17 for me). Golden Retrievers are the best, this is one of our three. They are very good for my mental health!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a great step forward MIB - way to go!

D
Old 02-16-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Strange how one you make that 'break through' you realize how many people in the general population (including doctors, therapists, etc) have once had an addiction problem as well....and we are not alone.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yeah, I told my shrink three years ago last December that I wanted to stop drinking. He was very helpful and it helped me to say it out loud to another person. Made it a 'real' problem to be worked on, not just something in my head that may or may not be true...
Old 02-16-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's great news MIBluebird. You have tremendous courage to open up as you did and should be extremely proud of yourself firstly for that and secondly for giving readers on here inspiration that they may do the same.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome

Your on your way.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

Good job! Your Goldens will love you even more (is that even possible? ) for taking this important step!
Old 02-16-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That is great news MI. Positive progress