Notices

On day 14 & have withdrawal questions

Old 02-16-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On day 14 & have withdrawal questions

Hello all!

As the title says, I'm on day 14 of sobriety, but I'd appreciate hearing the experiences of others regarding their recovery through withdrawal. After 22 years of drinking and with suddenly quitting, I'm certainly not expecting miracles, but I'm just wondering if and when withdrawal symptoms ever disappear.

Of course, my first week of withdrawal was brutal hell, and I honestly felt as though it was a life-threatening experience. But, by day 10, 11, and 12, I actually started to feel quite normal once again. Day 12 was an exceptionally wonderful day! However, yesterday (day 13) I began to have more of the lightheaded and anxiety sensations while having elevated blood pressure again as well, and today isn't much different. Along with quitting drinking, I've also changed my diet to a much healthier one so that my blood pressure stays in check, and it excludes caffiene, high salt content, and particularly no alcohol.

While I'm quite sure our withdrawal experiences vary from one person to another, I'm still curious to hear your experiences so that I may have some idea as to what to expect. Thanks, everybody, and this site is truly a great place to be!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I felt some low grade anxiety for about a month. My hands took about 4 months to completely stop shaking. Exercise helped tremendously-- even brisk walking.

I think you're right on track from what you're describing. But alcohol detoxification is very dangerous-- more so that hard drugs. You can die. Sounds like you're through the tough part, but if you ever go back, see a doctor.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply, Jay! You're right about alcohol detoxification, too, and I probably should've entered a detox facility, for I certainly underestimated the risks and felt as though I was on the verge of a stroke or a heart attack. The anxiety isn't as severe as it was or, as you've described, low-grade, but it's still there. Although, I haven't had the "shakes" for some reason. And yes, exercise has been one activity I've taken up again.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your mind, body and spirit are trying to adapt after 22 years. Takes time.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry you dont feel well. I am happy you are sober! 14 days is great!! Keep it up.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

How severe was your diet change JTele?

I went through a health kick and totally changed my slapdash diet for a healthy one overnight.....and totally made myself ill....

apparently changes should be gradual....who knew?

I think it's best to check with your doctor if you're concerned.

congratulations on 14 days

D
Old 02-16-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
How severe was your diet change JTele?
Hey, Dee! Well, my diet wasn't what I'd call a severe change by any means. It mostly excluded the items I mentioned above as well as foods with a high degree of fat content and salt, and I've added more nutricious foods such as fruit, vegetables, juices, and whole grain items. For the most part, though, the remainder of my diet has remained much the same. It's essentially a diet recommended by my doctor to lessen the number of blood pressure spikes that may occur.

I might also add that I monitor my BP about four of five times daily, and unless I'm having one of my attacks, my BP is close to normal. Conversely, when I was initially having my attacks (the day I quit drinking & 4 or 5 days after), my BP was consistently into the "stage 1 hypertension" range and often times spiked much higher, but it is getting much better with time.

But hey, I'm doing ok, and that's what matters! I was just curious to hear what others had to say about withdrawal and the kind of timeline it took for them to get over their symptoms.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had chronic high BP due to drinking and withdrawal seemed to do the same thing to me. I would have periods in the normal range and than high peaks. I know my bp was normal after 30 days and has remained very low in sobriety. Good job on 14 days.
SH
Old 02-16-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Prior to quitting, I had heard that the physical detox period lasted anywhere from 1 week to a month. For me it lasted about two weeks and the most prevalent symptom was dull, persistent headaches.

If you're already at 14 days, that's a good start and I hope you're almost over the hump. Good luck!