Notices

ANXIETY!!! @ Day 8

Old 02-15-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ANXIETY!!! @ Day 8

arrgghhh!!!! is all I can think or feel. I don't have a drinking urge, it's the further from my mind. but I want to freakin scream, just go ballistic for some reason. I'm frustrated, don't know why. I'm scatterbrained - can't concentrate on anything. I'm ready to explode.

I would normally half a bottle to calm down right now chill, smile, relax and then get back to the doings of life. I don't want to hit the bottle. I know it's bad news and i am off to a great start here. I also don't want to go home and flip out at something stupid either, that will cause more damage.

I think maybe an AA meeting? I gotta search for one now.

how long does this freakin stage last..... good grief!

<timebomb
Old 02-15-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

HR-

You know what's going on? Those are feelings

I know exactly how you feel. I promise it does get better, but I'm a year in and I still feel that way sometimes.

Take away the alcohol and what's left? Us. Scary thought as that was probably one of the main reason's we were drinking to begin with.

I'm an AA'er and I think going to a meeting is a great idea. Why not go be with people, just like you?

Do whatever it takes to stay sober and we're here for you. We know how you feel.

Kjell
Old 02-15-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I got that exact same feeling yesterday. Today I feel better though. Hang in there, it'll go away.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm having the exact same response. I'm on Day 6 and the anxiety attacks come and go. Remember it will go away. Remember that you had anxiety before you quit and drinking temporarily relieved the symptoms that would resurface again, often BECAUSE of the drinking! Anyway that's what I try to think about. I've also taken to drinking chamomile or sleepytime tea's throughout the day.

You can do this!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

at 1130 I stopped reading the board - found an AA meeting within 5 minutes of my office, took my lunch hour and went. Damn glad that I did. I got so many nods and folks afterward just coming right up and saying - 'ya, you know it sucks doesn't it' but it ends - one day at a time.

I'm going back tomorrow - this is my new lunch hour. thanks for everyone's support here and pushing me in the right direction. I wouldn't have jumped up and gone without the push - I'm a procrastinator remember????

thanks all - talk to you soon.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are exactly like me when I get to a week or so of sobriety-I feel crazy and I want to drink-only to feel that effect of the first few drinks. Problem is, I drink way tooo many and end up ruining my life.. I found this passage in the book that describes me to a 'T'.

"Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks-drinks which they see others taking with impunity. After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over, and unless this person can experience an entire psychic change there is very little hope of his recovery."
Old 02-15-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you went. One of the best things about meetings is being with people who have been through what you are going through. It really does help. And you know what? It helps them, too.

Keep going, keep coming back here. You can get through it, and it does get better.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Yay!

Job well done.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you did something Hite - I hope it helps

D
Old 02-15-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Great that you did something positive today.

I found my second week to be the hardest in terms of anxiety and sleeplessness. It improved after that...
Old 02-15-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I met a great group of people today. I'll be going back tomorrow and will make this my new lunchtime routine. I met a great people and I don't feel alone tonight. My wife and I got to talk. I told my folks that I'm i. Recovery and will be there for the rest of my life. Well that didn't go as planned but they know. So it's a step.

That passage is dead on. It puts it in perspective and helps me understand a lot of the addiction.

Looking forward to what tomorrow will bring and what well share in group
Have a great night all.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You're doing great! You can get through this stage. I felt the same way around day 8. The timeline is different for everyone, but it will get better.