Notices

New Guy in town..

Old 02-15-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Guy in town..

Hey there, just thought I would check out this site. Are all of you completely sobering up, thru AA, or some of you struggling like me?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thanks for responding

Hey there. I guess for me this is actually the first time I talked to anybody, and I know I do have a problem.... I function doing everyday stuff, but I know its getting worse for me and my family.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Davejohn! I'm pretty new myself. I'm not doing AA so am trying to do this by myself and by reading a lot on this site. It really helps. Good luck!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Dave! I'm new here, too, and it appears we have some similarities. First, up until two weeks ago, I had been drinking regularly for 22 years while doing some binge drinking on occasion. Still, I've managed to hang on to my marriage of 36 years, run a business without missing a beat, and never having a traffic violation of any kind. I actually thought I was pretty clever in many respects while covering up the severity of my drinking. Problem was, I became powerless in the way I was drinking; it ruled me instead of me ruling it. This continued on until one day almost two weeks ago when I awoke with sensations of lightheadedness, high blood pressure, anxiety, sweats, headaches, chest pain, etc. I literally felt as though I was going to have a stroke or a heart attack. At age 57, I didn't take the warning signs lightly. It was at that moment I decided to quit drinking, but the same withdrawal symptoms remained for nearly another week. It was undoubtedly the most horrifying and frightening experience of my life. Of course, I'm far from being out of the woods yet, but my incentive is that I want to live. Period! I want to share my life with my wife, my kids, and my grandkids, and for the life of me, I'm going to do everything within my power to ensure that alcohol doesn't rule my life again.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm staying sober by seeing my addiction counselor once a week and by coming here and sharing/reading every day.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Davejohn99 View Post
Hey there, just thought I would check out this site. Are all of you completely sobering up, thru AA, or some of you struggling like me?
Hi DJ-

It's not that black and white. There are plenty who are stuggling in AA as well.

...but with AA, you have a design for living without drinking that has worked for millions. It's not the only way of course, but it does work.

I think the important part of recovery is working for it.

I simply couldn't think my way out of my alcoholism. If I could, then I probably wouldn't be an alcoholic in the first place. Action was and is required on my part.

Another key point in my recovery was when I realized that the answers to my alcholism may not come from my own head. Sort of like it was my head that got me in the mess to begin with. Whoa! ...but true.

Let us know what we can do to help.

Kjell
Old 02-15-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just to add to my previous post, if you know you have a problem, you also know that you need to do something about it sooner than later. I haven't tried AA myself, but I haven't ruled it out, either. The important thing is to admit you have a problem, and this is a good place to start, in my opinion. But, I would highly suggest not waiting until you hit bottom, and hitting the bottom can mean anything from losing your family to being in an auto accident or being hospitalized or even all of the combined. I waited until I experienced a life-threatening situation, and I was a damn fool for not recognizing the severity of my problem much sooner.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Dave and glad you are with us.

For me I have a counselor and of course SR. I saw my counselor quite a bit in the early months when I began making positive change and from there sometimes I go weekly or bi-weekly. All depends but having a session for me is about being proactive and bringing something to the table these days that I would like to improve or work on.

Lots of support options out there but the key is whatever option you choose for your recovery you must work it 100%. It takes time and it really is a process.

Looking forward to the journey.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dave

We have people from all points of the curve - from people struggling to people with many years sobriety.

We have a multitudes of methods at play here too - I didn't use AA or any recovery group, but I put in a heck of a lot of hard work regardless

If you want to quit, or have quit, you're in the right place

Welcome!
D