Notices

Good things seem to happen when I'm sober

Old 02-14-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good things seem to happen when I'm sober

I feel the need to express gratitude right now. I have been trying to put down the bottle for awhile now and its been a struggle. Its Day 4 again and this time I am not feeling the immense dread of knowing that I will drink again soon. I actually have no desire to drink today!

And its funny-when I'm sober things keep happening that are positive, one after the other. My wife is finally over her morning nausea (14 weeks preg) and healthy, a raise at my job, the beautiful weather, my favorite sports team winning a game, its amazing!

Then I drink-and negative consequences roll in. A death in the family, ruining my body while drunk, ruining my relationship, feeling like crap all of the time. Just little things that never seem to happen unless I'm drinking.

Now I know there will be hard times in sobriety, but I like option A so much better. Facing this world (good and bad) clean and alcohol free!
Old 02-14-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey man. I have faith in recovery and I know too that good things happen because I'm sober, living recovery and trying my best; I can be my own worst critic at times but I know that everything I do is with the best intentions at heart and I try to always be true to myself. Sometimes I can get frustrated, but like i say I have faith in recovery and I know it works.

I know when I was drinking then negative things would happen, I know that if I ever picked a drink up then bad things would happen and continue to happen. I doubt I'd last long to be honest and probably lose everything very quickly, my mind would be instantly lost for sure.

The thing to remember is that some days will feel great and other's not so great, but it's remembering those good times in sobriety and working to get them back again. The good days outnumber the not so good days 10-1 in my experience. Ultimately in my active alcoholism then that simply wasn't the case.

Peace
Old 02-14-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 4. I'm on day 5. I know I've found that diving into a bottle in times of stress make those times worse. Things start to snowball in downhill fashion. My guess is that not diving into a bottle can only make things better. I've only been sober for 5 days and things are already better. I know this will continue to be a struggle for me for a while but I know you are correct when say that option A is better. Thank you so much for your post.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post Wharf rat, just shows all the good that is possible! Congrats on day 4, and I'm glad you're not tempted for a drink. I hope good things keep happening for you!