Notices

Gratitude = Armour

Old 02-14-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gratitude = Armour

One of the most powerful suits of armour that I have against taking a drink is gratitude, if I'm grateful that I ain't going to be wnating to take a drink, plain and simple.

If I'm not grateful and I'm feeling uncomfortable feelings and emotions then I know that I need to keep a conscious eye on my gratitude levels to stop them from getting dangerously low and a rut starting to form - self-pity for me is the worst thing that I can get into as it feeds my alcoholism and I imagaine most alkies who pick up aren't feeling full of gratitude.

You can't always be grateful but it's recognising when you ain;t that's important, certainly for me. I know my drinking was used to escape/avoid emotions/feelings, I experience these now and I have to ride them out and let nature take its course.

Thanks SR, Peace
Old 02-14-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

im practising compassion lately...for everybody...and for me...

i know what u mean it helps
Old 02-14-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Definitely. I've learned to be grateful for the tough times too - and for this addict, that's a trick and a half Nice to see you again, Neo.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very hard to turn my back on a life I'm grateful and thankful for, for sure.
Thanks Neo

D
Old 02-14-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

What Dee said.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Another fine observation, Neo. Thank you for that useful reminder!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was talking to my life coach the other day and she said the most powerful force for change in ones life is gratitude. I have seen a huge change since I made it my daily practice. And even when things are crappy you can usually find something to be grateful for and it helps
Old 02-14-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Amen to all that. I find the more I am grateful, the more I have to be grateful for. And the more grateful I am, the less I want to drink... not that I want to drink at all, but you know what I mean... I don't want to 'fix' something that ain't broke.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Amen

Gratitude = Armour
Old 02-15-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

An immense amount of gratitude for my recovery comes from actually seeing it clearly work in action. It's one thing talking about all of this stuff but when you actually see and feel the results then it serves as a wonderful hit of gratitude and also inspires you to carry on. I feel priviledged that I have been rewarded and been able to see many 'gifts' of recovery in this manner. I am truly grateful as I remember where I came from and where I would go back to if I got complacent and forgot the horrors of where I have been in my past during active alcoholism.

The ability to understand about my projected thinking and more importantly to recognise myself doing it and to work my recovery so that I don't project and live in the moment is a great example.Today for me was a great example of this and my recovery has meant that I am achieving consistantly at a top level at University. I won't get complacent though and just keep living my recovery and living 'one day at a time'. It truly does work and for that I cannot help but feel grateful. This time 2 years ago I was totally hopeless.

Thanks SR, Peace
Old 02-15-2011, 12:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
I won't get complacent though and just keep living my recovery and living 'one day at a time'. It truly does work and for that I cannot help but feel grateful. Thanks SR, Peace
I couldn't agree more Neo... in recovery you can't get complacent. It is SO important to recovery. It is daily work, but I am loving it thanks to SR and the changes I have found in my world.

Gratitude is also critical and that is just one of the reason I post to the gratitude thread on this board... plus all my SR friends posting over there are wonderful and I love to read everything they write. It is like a family to me... and they keep me focus.

Great job on your school work Neo!!!!!!