Notices

Cutting back and anxiety

Old 02-13-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cutting back and anxiety

Hi all,

New here, and basically signed up because I have a question that only you guys will be able to answer. First, a bit about my history.

I'm 25, and have had severe anxiety problems for about 7 years. For a long time, smoking pot and drinking on a daily basis was my way out, as so many have said before.

Fast forward, and I have quit smoking pot and have gone from "needing" to drink every day to being able to only have a drink in social situations. I call it "flooding," in that the drinking began to do nothing for me anymore and I've slowly phased it out. I'll still have a beer every few days with dinner and a drink or two when I go out with friends, but as far as I'm concerned that is the extent of it and I don't see myself reverting back to my old habits.

That said, my anxiety and panic has been TERRIBLE as of late. I have this feeling I can't describe, other than being a hangover that I feel in my chest and heartbeat. Feel like crap, basically. I've done the anxiety med thing as of late and again, just another chemical I'm trying to avoid.

I suppose my question is is this common for people who cut back significantly on chemical intake, how long will it last, and what can I be doing to help it. I eat far healthier than ever before, try to exercise at least a few times a week (although I can't even step on a treadmill feeling like this without having a panic attack) etc etc.

Finally, there's the option of going on an SSRI to treat my anxiety; would rather stay off of it, but do you think it'd help in my case?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We aren't doctors and can't diagnose you, especially not over the net. Please see your doctor to have a complete physical, blood tests, the works.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have, very recently. It's anxiety.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi sk8man121

Welcome

I found after many years of drinking that it was actually exacerbating my anxiety - when I drank I got anxious, and when I wasn't drinking I was even more anxious - at least for a while.

You may want to consider the possibility the same thing is happening here, and cut the cycle entirely.

Of course the very best thing to do is discuss this with your doctor if you haven't done so already

D
Old 02-13-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not interested in quitting completely, simply because I love a good beer and truly believe I have the willpower to drink responsibly at this point in my life.

That said, I'm more than willing to quit getting drunk completely (I basically have), as that does nothing but cause my anxiety to skyrocket the next day.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Well since alcohol is a CNS depressant, after it wears off your brain goes into overdrive - anxiety plus. I'd give it up completely if I were in your shoes. I've got anxiety too and now that I'm sober my anxiety meds actually work!
Old 02-13-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I respect anyone who can/does quit completely, and at some point I'll probably find myself going down that road. However, let's for now say that cutting back to a drink or two every few days is where I'm at. I play in a bluegrass band, just lost my girl of five years and need to be out and about etc etc.

I know - all excuses. I'm ok with that for now though. Otherwise I'd be super lonely.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Sk8 and glad you are with us.

For me.....once I quit drinking the anxiety became almost non existent and the panic attacks completely stopped.

I worked with my doctor and have thankfully not needed any medications, etc. Until I got sober though.....couldn't tell if it was alcohol related or other underlying conditions.

Wish you well.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sk8man121 View Post
Hi all,
I've done the anxiety med thing as of late and again, just another chemical I'm trying to avoid.

If by anxiety med you are referring to benzos, one of the most common withdrawal symptoms is high anxiety. When quitting benzos there is a high chance of the user experiencing paradoxical symptoms (an intensifying of the symptoms the drug was originally prescribed for).

Depending on the type of benzo used, withdrawal symptoms (including anxiety) could present in any time from a day after last dose to a few weeks after the last dose (it all depends on the persons metabolism and the half life of the benzo itself)

Unfortunately for some people the withdrawal can last 6 - 18 months with a gradual diminishing of symptoms.

This is all fact, not speculation.

If I can ask, what anxiety med were you on.

PS: SSRIs can also cause anxiety in users, as their action is completely unknown, the effects vary from person to person. Doctors will often try a slew of different meds and doses in an attempt to find ones with the most "acceptable" bad effects.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sk8man121 View Post
I'm not interested in quitting completely, simply because I love a good beer and truly believe I have the willpower to drink responsibly at this point in my life.

That said, I'm more than willing to quit getting drunk completely (I basically have), as that does nothing but cause my anxiety to skyrocket the next day.

I had the same things happening to me the next day, and it would get worse and worse, that's called withdrawal. Keep going down the same road, and wait until the tremors start to kick in... oh you are in for a big suprise then, your anxiety will be the least of your worries, you'll pray for that over the tremors. You haven't had enough consequences, that's obvious, good luck on the willpower bandwagon....
Old 02-13-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't drink nearly enough anymore for tremors etc to be an issue. A beer or two on occasion is not going to cause me to seizure. And what's wrong with willpower if you've got it?

Regarding the anxiety meds, I should've been more clear. I took Xanax on and off for years with no issue. About 2 years ago, I started seeing a psychiatrist for the anxiety and was put on lexapro and klonopin. The issue was I wasnt well educated about benzos at the time, and thought nothing of his instructions to take them regularly. Needless to say, dosage went up and up until it was 3mg a day and I was on them for 8 months. I was finally able to taper off, but I know all about benzo withdrawal and the hell that results.

Fast forward to about a month ago; benzo-free for 8 months and off lexapro for 5. I'd been feeling TERRIBLE anxiety and started suffering panic attacks, one of which put me in the ER with a BPM close to 200. My doctor suggested we do a trial run of Xanax and, against my better knowledge, agreed. I took them for about a week at 1mg/day and of course it helped immensely. I feel like even though it was a short period, however, coming off has been terrible and I've had to reinstate a dose or two every few days just to handle the symptoms; intense anxiety, depersonalization and the whole nine yards. I haven't taken any for about 5 days and I'm done on them for good; my body just can't accept them anymore. I feel like since I had the issues with them a year ago, even a small amount is enough to hit me over the head.

Unfortunately, I don't have avpsychiatrist at the moment. My GP wants me to try celexa for the anxiety, which is chemically very similar to the lexapro. Id rather not, but if it helps me through the hump, it may not be a bad idea.

So yea.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Think coffee has to go too. I drink a half cup in the morning and it sends me through the roof. Blah.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome. To me this sounds like a Dr. issue. I know that booze caused a lot of anxiety in me and pot caused even more. It sounds to me that the anxiety you speak of might have little to do with the chemicals. If I were you, I'd see a Dr. on it.

I wish you the best!
Old 02-13-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well let me put it this way since everyone is saying dr.

My GP is basically useless on this issue. He's heard about my anxiety for years, and his answer is antidepressants. Period.

My health insurance is kicking in 3/1, and I'm down to go to a dr if I'm going to get the right answers, but who? Psychiatrist? neurologist?
Old 02-13-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Also, how should I approach it? It feels like such an overwhelming pool of issues I don't know where to even begin.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't know where to begin either. I do know..once I quit drinking the anxiety went away...and I had it bad. I just feel as long as you are drinking at all..you have some type of withdrawal. If you are an alcoholic that is. Maybe you could try it and find some relief.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd look for a doctor who's studied the addiction field, a shrink would be my first choice. And make a list of symptoms/problems. A list of what you eat and drink. Sleep habits. Could be useful in diagnosing you correctly. Best to you in your doctor search. Anxiety can be a killer, I know.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

AND I am talking full fledged fight or flight anxiety. I wanted to get the hell out of there. Had to MAKE myself not take off running down the hall like a nutcase.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

By shrink do you mean psychologist or psychiatrist? Im about to start CBT therapy with a reputable psychologist in march
Old 02-13-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

THat could be good, tho a psychologist can't prescribe, s/he'd have to send you to an MD for that, whether a regular doc or a psychiatrist (shrink). I've heard good things about CBT.