new

Old 02-12-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new

Hello all,

I'm new to this website- I actually found it by studying for my comp exam for college. I'm a 23 year old student studying psychology- getting my degree in may. I hope to work with people with eating disorders or alcoholsm.
I have recently lost my uncle at 44 years old to alcoholism- December 19th 2010. It has been extremely hard for my entire family to deal with this- especially around Christmas time- just trying to be strong but deep down we are a mess. As someone who is studying psychology - I wish there was something we could have done. But, we did it all..put him in hospitals he would sign himself out..and so on..the same story everyday. He also lost his dad- my grandfather to alcoholism. So yes alcoholism runs in my family my grandfather and my uncle dying of this. Is there anyone else you has lost someone recently to alcoholism?
Old 02-12-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My husband, only he's still very much alive and kicking. But I lost him to alcoholism. Shoot - I think alcohol had me beat from the get-go anyway.

Sorry about your Uncle. Very dad to lose someone to this disease, I imagine.

And congrats on the almost graduation! That's great!
Old 02-12-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Amanda!

Welcome to SR!!! There are many others here who have lost people very dear to them because of addiction.

There is a forum here for grief and loss. You will find folks there, too, who have been through very personal loss.

You have my deepest sympathy on the loss of your Uncle.

Hugs, HG
Old 02-12-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Hi amanda
This is the link for the Grief forum
Grief and Loss - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I am so sorry about your loss. It is very hard to lose someone due to addiction, sometimes they leave physically, sometimes they are still around as walking shells but they are already gone.

Please take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Amanda
So sorry for your loss.
It is so hard to deal with and accept that someone has died because of something self inflicted. It opens up a whole load of other emotions in the people they 'leave behind' (for want of better words!)
I am sure you are feeling the 'whys?' and the 'if onlys' ...but you know what?there was nothing you could of done or didnt do. If an alcoholic does not get help, their life will either be destroyed or wiped out. They are adults, they make their own decisions and while we can force them to go to rehab, meetings etc, those things do eventually end and we cannot look over them 24/7 without sacraficing our OWN lives and sanity!
I found this forum when i was devastated and felt so helpless in the wake of my AH's physical consequences of alcoholism. And everyone on here has been a tremendous help to me in understanding it all and in going forward in finding some peace at last.
I hope you find the same...welcome!
Old 02-13-2011, 04:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Hi amanda. So sorry for your loss. (((hugs)))

I can so relate to this:
put him in hospitals he would sign himself out..
I have a lot of relatives it seems who refuse to take care of themselves. We try to tell them what they need to do but they have their own way. It's sad and frustrating at times.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep.....alcohol is a solvent. It takes everything away.