Notices

my own step 1 - breaking the Friday cycle

Old 02-12-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my own step 1 - breaking the Friday cycle

After many years, 3 attempts at sobriety and this community's support and feedback I was able to forgo my regular Friday routine last night. I went to bed at the same time as my wife. I was the first up this morning, let me dog outside, stood on the porch in 20 degree weather and just listened to the world wakeup.

I know I'm not out the woods. I know that I will take this one day at a time.

In my first two attempts I entered into my sobriety search not knowing what to do. This community has helped me understand how to handle this journey. Your support over the past week really made a difference last night. I called upon StuGotz's 'just saying' comments, Kjell's positive spirit, everyone's feedback, stories, openesss and soul bearing honesty.

I'm off to a good start. I feel confident this time, very emotional. On the verge of tears becuase I'm realizing how many days have gone by and been lost b/c of my addiction. I'm to give myself moments to reflect - but they will only be moments, I will keep moving towards the next moment, hour, day as a sober man, father, husband, child.

Thanks Everyone. I can't say that enough.

PS - the book "Dry" is a fantastic read for anyone on this journey.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Sounds like a great start! When I finally got sober I felt very much like that. So emotional but hopeful and acutely aware of the little things. It's a wonderful life!
Old 02-12-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd be lost and lonely without my family here. I'm glad we're able to help you.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

YEA! Way to go - Getting through that first Friday night is always huge. It's so nice to be able to appreciate the morning instead of wishing the world would just go away......!

Great post!
Old 02-12-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I still remember my first Friday - well done
D
Old 02-12-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Absolutely excellent and good for you.
Only another alcoholic can understand what a huge deal this is.
And I know this one (me) does. Keep it up!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am glad to hear the good news. There are going to be a lot of "firsts" in recovery, each one is special. Welcome to life as a sober person, it's awesome.
SH
Old 02-13-2011, 09:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I got through the weekend... but man did I want a beer tonight. I spent the day being working on finishing up a basement bathroom project that has been well overdue - due in large part to the fact that I was constantly procrastinating due to the alcohol fog I've been in. It felt good to forgo the beer, I could feel the alcoholic inside me saying 'it's just one beer, you worked hard all day, take the time and enjoy this'

I have one twisted SOB living in my head.

Does that person ever go away?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hitekredneck View Post
I got through the weekend... but man did I want a beer tonight. I spent the day being working on finishing up a basement bathroom project that has been well overdue - due in large part to the fact that I was constantly procrastinating due to the alcohol fog I've been in. It felt good to forgo the beer, I could feel the alcoholic inside me saying 'it's just one beer, you worked hard all day, take the time and enjoy this'

I have one twisted SOB living in my head.

Does that person ever go away?
Yes, he eventually goes away but never for good. I hear he pops up about the same time the mother in law does.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hite

yeah - I drank for 20 years and ended up a daily drinker so it took a while and some hard work - but yeah he went away for me...

Keep making your sober life as awesome as you can, and lean on all the support you have til 'he' goes away for you too

D
Old 02-14-2011, 06:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The physical cravings you are feeling go away and then it is easier to recognize irrational thought when it comes to having "that one drink." There are a lot of links about PAWS. Check those out, they are important after the initial withdrawal period.
Sounds like you are keeping busy and spending time with your family. Part of my recovery is my husband and child because they are my biggest supporters and frankly, they are the ones who want to do the fun sober stuff!
SH
Old 02-14-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

oh how true.

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
Yes, he eventually goes away but never for good. I hear he pops up about the same time the mother in law does.
that was great! for me it's my own mom, not the mother in law... but I get your point. that was a great come back. keeping this morning going strong. thanks Super!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Friday night was my first sober Friday in many years. I figured out how much money I would have spent between the bar and the bottle I would have bought on the way home. I then went online and purchased something I have wanted for a while but haven't had the funds for. (It cost about 1/4 of what I would have spent on a typical Friday night.) Congratulations! Each new day is a new beginning.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Nice job hugger!! I hope you keep on going. my last night out with the guys, which was honestly a rare thing b/c I mainly drank a bottle alone, put me out about 2 bills. I couldn't believe it. it was just beers - I wish so bad that I had that back there is so much more that I want to do with the money that I make. I worked up some quick math last night thinking about 1 week in recovery, my dollar amount (and I used a light week) came out around 3 bills - shock was the only thing that I can say. I can't believe how much this addiction was actually costing my family.

keep it up!
Old 02-14-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

....often heard around AA....

"the high price of low living"
and
"Your seat is the most expensive thing you ever bought"

Keep in focus...sobriety is soooo beneficial....
Old 02-14-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sounds to me like you finally had "that" moment when you finally gave up on trying to figure this whole thing out on your own. Good luck. Oh, just sayin...
Old 02-14-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

WAY TO GO HR!

I remember those first few weekends and they were tough.

Heck, I remember when I was first getting sober and there was just too much time in a day. How sad is that?

It does get better. I'm just a bit over a year and I still have much to learn.

Kjell
Old 02-14-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Friday nights were so difficult for me too. Sometimes they still are, but it gets better once you break that pattern! And "Dry" is a great book.