Notices

Home alone

Old 02-10-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Home alone

Home alone on day 3 of my sobriety and am feeling awfully lonely. It's during these nighttime hours when I can't sleep that the depression really sets in. Bed means tossing and turning watching the clock tick by. Anxiety!!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel the same but I'm not the one experiencing sobriety. I am home alone, tossing and turning in bed. My 2 yr old daughter is with my recovering alcoholic ex for the night and I'm lying here in the dark tossing and turning. Its hard to be alone.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your not experiencing sobriety?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I meant that I am not the alcoholic. I don't drink. I did go to an Alanon meeting tonight came home and balled my eyes out because I just miss my family. Be proud of yourself...3 days is a great start!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetteewalls View Post
I meant that I am not the alcoholic. I don't drink. I did go to an Alanon meeting tonight came home and balled my eyes out because I just miss my family. Be proud of yourself...3 days is a great start!
Thanks, I have many who care about me on your side of the fence. I can only listen and imagine the true hurt we cause those closest to us. Words cannot fully describe what my addiction has put my family through.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can help me answer something I think about all the time...what can I do to help him with his sobriety? Is staying away helping him? I hurt so much and he says he wants to be home eventually but he physically is going through something I can't understand. I'm glad he's trying to get help but I am so scared of going on this roller coaster.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR goforbroke and sweeteewalls

I think a little insomnia is a part of everyone's experience to varying degrees...but here are some good common sense tips here for insomnia

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures
Old 02-10-2011, 11:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went to a meeting tonight. This being after my 1 month binge. The friend that was taking me told me a story about a guy who was an alcoholic. Completley ruining his job and his personal relationships. His wife stuck by him through all the domestic pain and hurt he caused. He asked, Is she enabling him by staying in the house? Is she an enabler?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Should she pack up and leave? He has no friends or family. She is his only close relationship! He has never hurt her physically or verbally to my friends knowledge. But obviously it's pushing thier family to the brink!!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Keep posting. You will find answers here in between meetings. This site is a life saver.

I can't answer your question Sweet. Only you can. I do know this: If he in recovery, knowing he has a chance to repair the relationship through can be an empowering factor. And knowing that you are determined to keep him at a distance until he can show that he is serious about his recovery is also empowering. Hard to do, hard for him, but empowering for both of you.

GoFor

The hardest days are, well, the hardest days. They're the first steps towards working the steps necessary to finding a new life. Here you will find support that you can only find in meetings, and the beauty of SR is that it's here 24/7. I've never logged on and not found dozens of people, no matter what time of the day or sleepless night, who are willing to share and help on on this new journey.

Hang tough. The link suggested is a good one, and only the first of many suggestions and examples which will help you on this new road.

Anxiety is a natural emotion, as are the regrets that can overwhelm us when we start this trek. But the promise of AA -- which those who have benefited from it will share in heaps -- is that we will find a spiritual awakening. Relief is found in working hard at our recovery. Work may seem impossible right now, but baby steps count!

Right now your job is to not use for 24 hours. Don't look at that clock as a demon, mocking you inability to sleep. Look at each passing minute as a victory, 59 more to get under your belt, adding up to one day...and that's another promise that will be fulfilled: Take it one day at a time and you'll get to where you want to be.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I experienced a lot of anxiety in the early days of recovery.

Please know that there is always someone around here and you can come online anytime.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sweeteewalls....check out the friends and family section...you should be able to get the support you need there.

You cannot do sobriety for your husband, he must do it alone. However, if he is in recovery and has made good progress there could still be hope. Best of luck to you!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by gofobroke View Post
Should she pack up and leave? He has no friends or family. She is his only close relationship! He has never hurt her physically or verbally to my friends knowledge. But obviously it's pushing thier family to the brink!!
She's the only one who can answer the question whether she needs to leave. Merely living with an alcoholic isn't "enabling".

My suggestion is that for right now you not worry about what other people should do or not do. Concentrate on your own recovery. That's all any of us can do something about.