Update on son

Old 02-10-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on son

Hi all:

Just a little update on my son who is currently in rehab.

As you may or may not know, he got himself in trouble back in October, 10-10-10 to be exact! He took this as a sign to get help! Oh well, whatever works!

While in jail he wrote to the judge, DA, parole officer, anyone who would listen, and begged for a rehab program. Before he went in jail, he had applied to Salvation Army program, but was turned down because he had had violence on his record back in 1995.

He was facing 8 years, OMG, and that was for possession of an "empty" baggie, a syringe and a needle! of course the bag was empty because he had used it, but he was shocked that they could give him 8 years for that!

Anyway, he ended up getting lucky, don't know if it was because of his letters, and got 90 days in jail, and parole gave him 90 days in REHAB!

This is where he is now. Has already done 30 days and is loving it! He is asking them to allow him to stay on longer than 90 days. He thinks they will allow him 270 days.

I am not going to get too excited about all this because things have a way of changing rapidly! For now I will pray each day that it works for him.

He did call and ask me to go through some papers looking for a phone number. Then he said, "never mind I'll do it myself from here." I said I didn't mind. He replied, "no, that would be a co-dependent thing!"

He also wrote and apologized for being such a horrible "house quest!" Horrible is putting it mildly! By the end of the 3 weeks he was here, I really found myself "DISLIKING" him.

Ok, that's where we are today. Just have to keep praying!!

Hugs, Devastated (devastated means upset, only a zillion times more) that's according to the "Fancy Nancy" children's book! OMG, they are wonderful!
I have really gotten into this "motherhood" thing again. For instance, I find myself humming the Barney Song while I'm doing dishes! YIPES, at 70??? LOL
Old 02-10-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Prayers for him that he keeps on keeping on, and prayers for your serenity
Old 02-10-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dev, Hope things work out for your son in a good way. Sounds like he just may be getting it this time. We always have hope that our sons can enjoy their lives in a healthy, happy way. You sound good and I bet "motherhood" keeps you on your toes. Being a mommy to that cute lil girl has got to have its moments. This adventure will certainly keep you young.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by devastated View Post

For instance, I find myself humming the Barney Song while I'm doing dishes! YIPES, at 70??? LOL
Life is good.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Dev. great-grandmahood becomes you

I have never once forgotten your son in my daily prayers and it just tickles my heart to hear that he is doing well.

Let's celebrate today and let tomorrow unfold as it may!!

How about a nice Barney cheesecake?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your son and great grand daughter (and Mr dev of course) are so lucky to have you, Dev! Dev means awesome, only a zillion times more!!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi all, thanks for all the hope and prayers, I have a feeling I'm going to need them and more!

To tell you the truth, I don't get really excited anymore. All I do know is the 3 weeks he was here was HELL! When he called me after he got there, I told him he could never come back here to live so he'd better do well. He went into a rage! That was proof that he was using while he was here! He did the threaten thing. I just don't even react to that stuff. I tell him do what you have to do, I have no problem calling the cops.

Couple of days later he called and apologized (which means nothing to me anymore) and cried that he didn't want to be otracized from the family. I told him in order to come here again, he would have to be clean. If he wanted to be a part of this family including his grandaughter's life, he best make changes now.

He is making all the right moves. Is definitely working towards staying there longer than 90 days. He thinks they will approve 270 days, which he is grateful for. He goes to at least 6 meetings a day then at night attends more. He really feels good, and says the counseling and bringing up things he has stuffed for years is helping.

Oh well, I hate to be a pessimist, but actions speak louder than words.

Ann, thanks for that wonderful cake! We loved it!

I love you, you love me, we're a happy family....oops, there I go again!

This is getting scary. Tonight at dinner, I reached over and started to cut Mr. Dev's steak for him! Oh no! LOL

Hugs, Dev
Old 02-10-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good news about your son. Keep taking it one day at a time and enjoy that little girl. I'll keep your son and your family in my prayers.

gentle hugs
Old 02-10-2011, 11:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Dev))) - thanks for the update. I'm praying that he REALLY gets it this time, but am very proud of you for how you're dealing with it.

I don't know about you, but after my niece insisted on watching the same Barney video over, and over, and over, I was ready to put a hit out on the purple guy...shame on me!! That little one is blessed to have you and ((Mr. Dev)) and you are both blessed to have her.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-11-2011, 03:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

This is getting scary. Tonight at dinner, I reached over and started to cut Mr. Dev's steak for him! Oh no! LOL

Oh Dev, you really are the best!!!

Originally Posted by greeteachday
Dev means awesome, only a zillion times more!!
Amen, sister!!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

(((((Dev))))) Big hugs and prayers for all of you! All you have to do now is sit back, relax, and watch his actions......

I'm very happy to hear that there is good news!!!!!!!!

HG
Old 02-11-2011, 12:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Love the update, but there were no pictures of the wee Dev this time. What's up with that?

I totally get the skepticism about his recovery. Hard to go from hearing him rage to hearing how wonderful self discovery is after all that you've been through. Been there, done that, heard it all before.

I guess I feel the same kind of detachment. I found myself reading your post and thinking, "Good for him. I hope he rots in recovery."

And then I smiled because I thought that isn't such a bad idea is it? It's half skepticism - half hopeful wish.

Maybe if your son steeps long enough in his rehab, he might just come out prune-like but sober? 270 days might just do it.

I'll be thinking of you.

Alice
Old 02-11-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi All:

Well, this is the second time I've written this. The first message is floating in cyberspace. Maybe Ann will find it, 'cause I sure couldn't!

So, now I'll start again by thanking all you wonderful friends for sending all those prayers and kind words of hope. I just want you all to know that I, too, am praying and hoping, but I no longer expect that miracle. I mean if it happened that would be great, but after 35 years of saying, "this time for sure!" I've kind of given up thinking it's going to happen in my lifetime. But, then again, one never knows.

About little Miss. Well, it seems she has discovered that she has a mind and will of her own, and decided to test it out on me. This morning we got to school and she decided she wanted to play instead of going into class. We've been through this before and she was warned of the consequences if it happened again.

Well, the teacher opened the door and instead of going into class she ran into the little playhouse. You know the one you have to crawl on all fours to get in. She refused to come out and go into class. I waved hello and goodbye to the teacher and crawled in the little house pulled her out kicking and screaming, and went home, but not before hitting my head of the little house! This didn't help my disposition at that moment! One thing I've learned I don't scream, I don't lose my temper, I stay very calm and quiet. I let her do the talking! No hitting either, as that doesn't work at all!

Once home I put her in bed where she stayed until school was over. She hated it! YES!! She looked at me and said "Nanna, I don't like you!" YES, AGAIN! I use to fold when I heard those words, now I know I'm on the right track when I hear them! LOL Anyway, I only wish I had been this consistant with my son perhaps, if I had, he wouldn't be in the mess he is today!

So that's my update on the little one. I am posting a photo of her practicing sticking out her tongue. Something she learned in between learning the alphabet and printing her name. Good huh? Makes a great-grandmother so proud! LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
002.jpg (93.7 KB, 102 views)
Old 02-11-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

P/S

Almost as proud as I was when I was watching "Lock Up, San Quentin" and I saw my son's parole officer. Wow, what other mother could say "see that guy, he's my son's parole officer now! So proud! LOL

Hugs, Devastated (that's a fancy word for upset, only a zillion times more) LOL
Old 02-11-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Oh, Dev, she's precious...and she comes by it honestly because you are too.

I can just see the look on your face as you crawled into the play house.

Thanks for starting my weekend with a laugh.

Hugs
Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Ann,

All I have to say is thank the Lord I've kept up my limbo lessons!

Really, do get out of that house and still have a smile on my face, in the event anyone was watching, was nothing short of a miracle!

Who says that sciatica limits you!!

Hugs, Dev
Old 02-13-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Happy to hear that son is doing well, for today.

Okay, so who is Fancy Nancy? Fancy Nancy is a new author to me. I'm visiting granddaughter and celebrating her fourth birthday. I can't believe how fast they grow.

Hang in there. Hugs and prayers.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh, PacNorthwesterner you have got to get the Fancy Nancy books. Go online to Amazon and get those hardcover books. They are "splendiferous"
which means a zillion times better than "splendid!"

They are written by Jane O'Connor and beautifully ilustrated by Robin Preiss Glasser.

Fabulously funny! They teach the children new words such as "famished" that's a fancy word for hungry!

If you have a bookstore in your town, they'll probably have them there. They are a kind of pricey, but worth it. Less expensive on line.

Hugs, Devastated
Old 02-13-2011, 04:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Super (that means REALLY REALLY good in the PacNorWest). Thanks for the tip. I will check them out as soon as I get home.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by devastated View Post
P/S

Almost as proud as I was when I was watching "Lock Up, San Quentin" and I saw my son's parole officer. Wow, what other mother could say "see that guy, he's my son's parole officer now! So proud! LOL

Hugs, Devastated (that's a fancy word for upset, only a zillion times more) LOL

I am a big fan of all the "Lock Up" Stories. I would ask which one, but it seems there are new ones every week on different channels.
Next is I think Nat Geo went to a prison for a year, lived there.
Why am I so interested in these shows? And the true crime shows?
I watch them even when I know how they turn out!

Beth