Desperately need advice . . . .

Old 02-10-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Desperately need advice . . . .

I am desperately seeking advice on what to do about my mother. Here is my story:

My mother has been an addict for as long as I can remember. She has periods of sobriety, and I think when my dad was alive, he was able to hide a lot of her problems. My dad passed away a year and a half ago. Since then, my mother has completely lost touch with reality. She is disabled and does not work. She gets a disability check that barely covers her groceries and utilities. Every month as soon as she gets her check, she gets her prescriptions filled and then spends the next week taking all her medicine. She takes dangerous levels of her medicine. So much that she hallucinates, talks out of her head, spends all her money, and completely loses the days that she is high. Several times when this has happened, we have called 911, had her admitted to the hospital, gone through the 2 days of detox, and then bring her home. I have put her in a mental hospital (when she had insurance) because she told the rehab place that she was trying to harm herself. She has no insurance and no money. And I cannot take from my family because of the way that she has blown hers. She blew through the 7,000 she got for back disability. Is there anything I can do for her? Does anyone have any advice? Is there such a thing as free rehab? We are so worried we are going to find her dead one day.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

jenn,

Sorry to hear about your mother's addiction, especially how it's affecting you and your family. It's sad to hear about how an addict is destroying their life thinking they are only harming themselves. I know this because at one time, I was the addict.

Can you go to the "Social Services" in your town? That is the only thing I can think of doing. They may have some options for you.

You need to take care of yourself. So, go to an Alanon meeting. You deserve all the love and support they offer there. -tabfan
Old 02-11-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your state may have a department of senior affairs (or something similar) or it may all be lumped under a "family services" type department. I would start with your county/parish and see what they have available. If they have nothing, I'd move to the state level. Many counties have their own sets of services, and they tend to be easier to deal with than the bigger (e.g. state) bureaucracies.

Do take care of yourself as best you can. Your mother made her choices, and as hard as it is, there is not much you can do to change those choices. What choices will you make for yourself?