Notices

I'm struggling

Old 02-09-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm struggling

But I'm still here.

Reading posts from other chronic relapsers who finally achieved sobriety gives me hope.

So I have hope.

Thanks to you all,

-SD
Old 02-09-2011, 09:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Good to have you here. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

what have you been trying in the way of support SD?

D
Old 02-09-2011, 09:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep it going, if not for you for your son. SD is the best place in the world to wake up sober....even if it is 45 degrees when you wake up. It gets easier, trust me.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

just SR.

I went to a few AA meetings.

I just don't like AA. I guess there's something wrong with me. I don't like those meetings. I walk out of there and the urge to drink is stronger, not weaker.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anything strange and uncomfortable is probably going to trigger a desire to drink for a while, SD, whether it's AA or counselling or whatever.

If you really feel AA's not for you, then don't stop looking - here are some links to the main recovery players

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

One of the worst things you can do right now is nothing - it gets exponential...I've wasted years that way.

Don't give up, man.
D
Old 02-09-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm not giving up. Sobriety is the goal.

I just can't get there from here.

-SD
Old 02-09-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Originally Posted by Sdsurfn2011 View Post
I'm not giving up. Sobriety is the goal.

I just can't get there from here.

-SD
Sure you can. People have gone there before you. Just follow their trails.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sd, glad you are here and yes you can get there.

There are different paths to recovery so just keep working on it. SR was a starting place for me and I too looked at what others had done and I chose an option that I felt would best suit me. Now i am working my recovery and have kept SR close to me as this support tool is tremendous to me. I can reach out here 24/7 and have folks who understand......I feel pretty darn lucky to have it

Keep it going and you will get there. Just gotta add to the support my friend.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
Keep it going, if not for you for your son. SD is the best place in the world to wake up sober....even if it is 45 degrees when you wake up. It gets easier, trust me.

The guilt I have is crushing. When I'm drinking, I'm obviously not there for my son. Like right now, tonight.

When I'm sober, I try to make up for it, but it never eases the guilt.

My son is growing up with an alcoholic father. He's only 6.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Wouldn't it be awesome if your 6-year-old son with an alcoholic father could become a 6-year-old with a father in recovery?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

^^^^^ You can change this....stop the pity party and pick yourself up here. You can be the father you want to be......just gotta take some action and no better time then now.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with everyone here SD.
You have to stop this, man.

The choice is yours - you can just be what you are now - or you can be who you want to be....but only action will get you there

If you really think you've given AA enough of a go to say it's not your thing - try SMART, try LifeRing, try RationalRecovery or whatever.

Try counselling. Heck, try rehab.

How much is it worth to you to be the Dad you wanna be?
How much are you prepared to put into things to make that happen?

D
Old 02-10-2011, 01:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was a chronic relapser who finally 'got it'. I'd get a few days sober, then drink. Get a few weeks sober, then drink. Get a few months sober, then drink. Until the last relapse 14 months ago.... I woke up so sick after drinking for two days I thought I was going to die. Wished I would die just to be out of my miserable existance.

But I didn't die, and I swore I'd never drink again, and I haven't. Hell, I don't even want to drink anymore. So if I can finally 'get it', anyone can, and that includes you!

I wasn't doing it by myself, I go to my addiction counselor once a week and she's a huge help.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In AA i presume you have noticed people that have significant length of sobriety and seem happy with it? Why don't you ask one of them how they did it?

You haven't given AA a go in the same way i didn't when i first went there when i was 21...i then proceeded to move through the various other routes to recovery, you name them i went to them all "gave them a go" and went back to drinking...you can waste years doing this...

Implying you can do this by yourself is not good advice at all!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The guilt I have is crushing. When I'm drinking, I'm obviously not there for my son. Like right now, tonight.

When I'm sober, I try to make up for it, but it never eases the guilt.

I understand about AA, and I agree, but you can stay sober without it. I am getting ready to walk the dog, was up at 5:30AM and it feels great to be sober. You aren't missing anything. If you need additional support, PM me. I am heading to Miramar for a sales call at 8AM, then up to Carlsbad for a while.

I thought it was going to be so tough when I started this journey, and one of the roadblocks was I wasn't going to do AA. Come to find out AA isn't the only way and it has made the process easier and enjoyable.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's just after 6 a.m. now somewhere else in SD. Cold like Supercrew said. Maybe it's helpful to know there are others nearby who have been through exactly the same thing...

My daughter's 6. I spent the first years of her life drinking. I always treated her well, tried to make it up... but always felt guilty. Would be at a park with her at 4 on a sunny Saturday, and all I could think about was having a drink. I didn't quit "for her" (tried that and failed), but it sure feels good to not feel that guilt anymore, or worry about how long I'd be around for her.

Dee's suggestions are worth thinking about. I don't do AA. If I go for F2F support, it will be with Smart Recovery. The first week or two was the hardest for me; took me a long time to finally get over that hump. Visiting SR every single day helps.

Try something different. Keep mixing it up. Maybe even try some different AA groups if it was just the crowd at a particular meeting. You gotta find the right combo for you. For me, a key difference was not just knowing I need to quit, but embracing the idea—that drinking sucks, I cannot and never will be able to moderate, I've more than I should in one lifetime, and it's about damn time to move on.

It's great being off that treadmill. I thought it would be boring as hell, but everything is more fun now that I'm acclimating to it.

You can and will do it!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Once I went from "I can't drink" to "ya know, I really don't want to drink", that's when it started getting easier.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

just SR.

I went to a few AA meetings.

I just don't like AA. I guess there's something wrong with me. I don't like those meetings. I walk out of there and the urge to drink is stronger, not weaker.
Just SR is better than nothing. You're doing a GREAT job by coming on here and posting about it, instead of just saying "ahh f$#@ it" and drinking.

Also, there is nothing wrong with you for not liking AA. I'm an AA'er, but I really didn't like it at first either. Think about it, why would you? They want to help you to not drink and you're an alcoholic who wants to drink

You may have to do some things you don't like or don't want to do to get sober. Be prepared.

Kjell
Old 02-10-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you doin' SD?

D