Notices

Scared to start AA

Old 02-09-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared to start AA

Hi. I can't believe that I am here but I feel the need to talk to someone about what I am dealing with these days. I am the daughter of a recovering alcoholic along with being the sister of 2 recovering alcoholics. I thought I could escape the pattern but I have come to realize that I am going down the same path as my other family members. I am so proud of all of them and wish somehow I can get the courage to do what they have done. My mother passed away in September of 2010 from lung cancer and she was such a great role model after almost 24 years of sobriety. I have been happily married for 33 years but I feel that my drinking may be starting to take its toll on my marriage. My husband and I have discussed my "drinking" but the thing that stuck in my head was the other day he said he was afraid he was "losing me". Obviously, he knows my family history and I'm sure it scares him that I will go down the same path. I believe I am a functioning alcoholic so it doesn't seem to make a huge impact on the majority of my life. My husband enjoys drinking also and we both have a "habit" of having cocktails in the evening. The problem is that I tend to have trouble moderating my drinking. I can go days without drinking but when I do drink I drink too much. I don't know if I have gotten to the point of going to AA but I feel like it is close. Thanks for listening. Sorry I was long winded!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dancer

Welcome

Well, I dunno...isn't the fact you think your drinking is taking its toll on your marriage, and the fact your husband is worried for you enough of an impact to act on?

You don't have to wait to do something until you're homeless living under a bridge drinking out of a bottle wrapped in a paper bag

I wish I'd acted much much sooner.

D
Old 02-09-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My dad was AA, 24 yrs, RIP and my brother just got his 25 year coin... Took me a while to get into the rooms myself...

Why not attend an open meeting and see for yourself ?

Welcome
Old 02-09-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I sure was not thrilled when I began AA...but it turned out
to be a win win situation for me.
I asked a friend to go with me to my first meeting I was very nervous.

Welcome to our recovery community.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

welcome to SR!

Nobody ever goes to their first AA meeting
because their lives are going well.

I was 42 before I drank
like the alcoholic I am.
I am also the sister/daughter ex wife.... just like you.
And like you - I'd thought I'd 'got by' without 'inheriting'.

UN-like you
I destroyed everything
before I asked for help.

You are far wiser than me!

I hope you'll go to the meeting
then come back and post here
about how it went!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Barb D.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome. I already feel better. It is going to be a long road but I think I am ready to take it.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mark. I am getting the courage up to attend. I found one for women close by so I hope I can get to that soon. Will let you know.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum - Alcoholism can sneak up us..... I was functional, too, but looking back, see that I was losing myself (constantly preoccupied with drinking and making all kinds of little adjustments to be able to continue). If you have a problem, just know that it doesn't get better on it's on and infact most always gets worse.

You can do this - there's lots of people here to support you and AA is a great idea. You may just find you really like it! :ghug3
Old 02-09-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Artsoul. i will let you know when I make the jump and share my experience. I know it is very soon.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, dancer,

I like to post this link when people are contemplating trying AA, but are (understandably) nervous about it. It's a terrific article about what to expect at your first AA meeting.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Go to some AA meetings. What have you got to lose except the uncertanity of whether you belong there or not?

I've been going to AA for almost a year now. I wish I would have tried the program years ago.