Notices

Would it be safe for me to drink again?

Old 02-09-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, my name is Al. I have always been a big beer drinker. I drank for most of my life, and pretty much daily for the past 10-15 years. I would typically have about 4 beers right after work, then eat, and then have either another beer, a cocktail or a shot of something. My alcohol consumption kept on climbing steadily over the years but I always maintained control. It never affected my work or my relationships (I have been with the same partner for 8 years and – according to both of us - my drinking has never been a problem. We were just worried about my health, especially my future health.

My doctor would always tell me “why don’t you stop drinking for a couple of weeks to see how it goes”? But I was thinking, why make me “suffer” for two weeks just to make a point? But I did just that. I quit cold turkey about 6 weeks ago. I was expecting the worst. I was reading online about alcohol withdrawal symptoms (people get the shakes, they hallucinate, etc.). I did not have any of that. All I had for the first two weeks or so was a slight headache and a feeling of “woozyness”. But even that is gone by now.

But I did notice (unless it is my imagination) that the headache comes back when I feel a vague craving for a beer (which happens only rarely). And that brings me to my issues. I am only 48 and I have (hopefully) still a long life ahead of me, and I really enjoy drinking beer. I was hoping that I could drink again, but “socially” (never buy beer to bring at home and instead go to a pub with friends once in a while on weekends, have a glass of wine sometimes at the restaurant, etc).

I worry about two things:

1) Maybe I was just lucky that quitting was so easy and almost uneventful, but if I go back to drinking and I end up going back to my old habits (drinking daily) maybe it will not be so easy to quit the next time.

2) Even if I can manage to only drink “socially”, will it always trigger the alcohol withdrawal symptoms (headache, etc.) once I stop again (until the next “social event”)?

Thank you!

Al
Old 02-09-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

Michigan Alcohol Screening Test

Yeah, If you do happen to be an alcoholic, no telling what the outcome might be if you decide to drink again.

If you're not, you shouldn't have any problem controlling your drinking.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Al. Welcome.

I am not sure what you want to hear. . .well, i can guess. You want to hear --
"Sure, Al, go ahead and drink again, it is no big deal and it won't hurt you and you will be fine."

Well, i doubt you are going to hear that. I don't know you, your drinking habits, your health, etc. What I do know is that you have invested an awful lot of time in this. Trying to decide if you can drink safely or not. I know no normal drinker who does that. Go 2 weeks or 6 weeks without drinking? They do, but not with a plan to do so, not with any thought about it at all.

Only you can answer your question.

If you are an alcoholic, you should read about the disease. It is progressive, so you never know where it will take you if you start again.

Why is it so important to have a beer at the pub or a glass of wine at the restaurant?

When i quit, i was sad that i could not do those things again. I have learned that they don't really matter to me. I don't really think about it anymore.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by GettingStronger2 View Post
Why is it so important to have a beer at the pub or a glass of wine at the restaurant?

When i quit, i was sad that i could not do those things again. I have learned that they don't really matter to me. I don't really think about it anymore.
I guess I would ask the same question. On my journey I have found that normal drinkers could take or leave alcohol. I really notice it when making plans with people. My book club meets once a month and someone would often suggest meeting at starbucks or half the people who showed up if it was a restaurant would hum and haw over the drinks menu and finally go 'just an iced tea'. I have been sober for 6 mos but I still think it's weird

That's how I know I can't drink anymore.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I'd like to ask why your dr suggested you quit for a couple weeks.. Did you express a concern to him, and that was his advice? Or were there some blood results that were off?

Alcoholism is progressive. According to something I've read, you are an active alcoholic far before you notice the signs.

Its a risky game to play, but based on what you said, it doesn't sound like its that big of a problem for you.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I think you'll find lots of information here and support, too.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

welcome, al - those are really good questions. I think you have a reason to be concerned about your health considering anything above 2 drinks/day for men is considered a health risk (has your doctor said anything to you about you about an enlarged liver or elevated enzymes?). Have you ever tried cutting back?

Just curious how you've been feeling the past 6 weeks (which is awesome, by the way). Have you noticed any changes (mentally, emotionally, physically)? What about cravings? Have you been holding on, counting the days until you could start again?

I think you're really smart to take the suggestion of your doctor. I was too ashamed to admit to mine at first that I had a problem.

I hope you enjoy being a part of the forum - the people here are great and every one has a unique story. Thanks for sharing yours with us!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

If you're an alcoholic, then the answer is no.

It's as simple as that.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Al, I don’t have any advice for you, just a story of how I got here. I drank pretty much like you do. Kind of a Joe-six-pack type of drinking for 20 years. Gradually I kept drinking more and more in the evenings, often with dry weeks to prove to myself I did not have a problem. Then about 4 years ago it changed – Boom, within a few months I went from a Joe-six-pack kinda guy, to a Jack-in-my-morning-coffee kinda guy. It was game on. How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? I damaged my health, my relationships, and my career, all the while I was really earnestly trying to stop. I have been through two relapses since Sept. 2009. I probably do not have another relapse left in me.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If we all say "NO", would you listen?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No, it wouldn't be safe for you to start drinking again.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Couldn't help but notice you didn't list your alcohol consumption at the end of your drinking. Just saying.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I sometimes wonder the same thing, after 6+ months of sobriety. And what I realize when I truly think about it is, I don't want to drink "socially." The truth is I never enjoyed just having one drink, or even just two. I never saw the point, and it always felt so difficult to rein myself in. If I'm going to drink, I want to have at least four or five, and that's where the problems start. And that's why it's not safe for me, personally, to drink again.

Would it be for you? I can't answer that. But I doubt it.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Al...

Alcohol is Cunning, Baffling, and Powerful.

My thoughts...No

Zube
Old 02-09-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Al

There's only the bare basics here in your post but there's still a few red flags - increasing consumption, your doctor advising some times off, cravings.

Whenever someone asks why not return to drinking, I ask why?

I've never looked back as a non drinker.
I got my life back.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

D
Old 02-09-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Al, trust me (us), this disease is progressive. Took me a journey of 5 years to realize this; please don't go through my (our) hell to reach the same conclusion.

Sure, continue to drink, then check back with us after some life altering event happens.

I more than understand your pain........ but please do something for yourself now. Only you can something for you.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is progressive and you have been a daily drinker for a number of years. It will catch up with you. I don't think there are many people in their 60's, 70's and 80's that are daily drinkers. If you want to live until you get to those kind of ages you are likely going to have to quit drinking at some point. Why not now?

I hate to break it to you but the average life span for a 48 year old man is about another 28 years. In football terms, you are about mid way through the third quarter of your life (I know that sucks but I'm right there with you).
Old 02-09-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For me, I could drink again but have no reason to, as my life as a non drinker is better than ever.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think until you are 100% convinced that you are/are not an alcoholic, you will not be satisfied. You will always wonder. In our AA BigBook, it tells us that if we are still unsure, go out and try some controlled drinking. If you can have two and stop and not think about it again, you probably are not one of us. If having one or two triggers you to want more, crave more, etc. then you are probably better off not drinking at all.

So if you feel you must try it, we can't stop you. And if that is what it takes for you to be convinced either way, then you should probably try some controlled drinking.

Let us know how you come out. For me, I am 100% convinced that I can NEVER drink like a normal person.