It's not always that they don't love you . . .

Old 02-09-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

It's not always that they don't love you . . .

When people with a compulsive disorder (addiction to drinking, drugs, gambling, etc) do whatever it is they are compelled to do, they are not saying they don't love you - they are saying they don't love themselves

A friend of mine posted this as part of a reading on her FB notes this morning - thought wow - truer words have never been written.

Our children, mates, ex mates, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, friends that struggle with this awful disease have never found that true self-love.

I can understand and relate to that - As an true-blue codie - I too suffer and struggle with that self-love and self-acceptance. I can find myself using unhealthy things and unhealthy behaviors to try to make me feel better about myself; to feed that "self-love" ~ instead of turning to that Power Greater than myself.

But oh those unhealthy things & behaviors - they never work. I am grateful to have a program, meetings and a loving support group that remind me to seek that God of my understanding to help me in this area.

I pray that each & everyone of you and your loved ones will find their HP to help you and them on their journey to find their self-love and self-acceptance.

PINK HUGS (hope, unity, gratitude & serenity)

Rita
Old 02-09-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

So true, Rita. Most active addicts I have met really hate themselves and how they are. It stops being fun really fast and then it's just downhill to however low their bottom may be.

It took me a long time to realize that my son's bad behaviour while active in addiction...had absolutely nothing to do with me.

I had to accept that before I could accept that I was powerless over his addiction and his recovery. So today I leave all that between him and God.

Hugs
Old 02-09-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I found out what my daughter was doing my first words were.."how could she do that to us?" That was 2 years ago..the other day I was watching Celebrity Rehab and someone's parents said the same thing.My hackles rose..Dr. Drew said .."he's not doing it to you..and by your saying that you are showing a real lack of understanding of his problem and have not surrendered..you need alanon" Paraphrasing, but pretty close..now this kid had been in 5 rehabs and the parents STILL weren't doing their own work..realizing that YOU aren't the addicts motivation for ANYTHING is part of our healing..
Old 02-09-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post

It took me a long time to realize that my son's bad behaviour while active in addiction...had absolutely nothing to do with me.

I had to accept that before I could accept that I was powerless over his addiction and his recovery. So today I leave all that between him and God.

Hugs

So good, this is worthy of a repeat.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keepinon View Post

YOU aren't the addicts motivation for ANYTHING is part of our healing..

Another priceless gem. Thank you.