Notices

Is alcoholism a disease, or an attitude/addiction?

Old 02-09-2011, 02:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is alcoholism a disease, or an attitude/addiction?

What do u think?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we've had this one before
To me, Eddie, it really doesn't matter anymore - I'm just glad I did something about it

D
Old 02-09-2011, 02:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

From Mayo Clinic:

Alcoholism is a chronic disease in which your body becomes dependent on alcohol. When you have alcoholism, you lose control over your drinking. You may not be able to control when you drink, how much you drink, or how long you drink on each occasion. If you have alcoholism, you continue to drink even though you know it's causing problems with your relationships, health, work or finances.

It's possible to have a problem with alcohol but not have all the symptoms of alcoholism. This is known as "alcohol abuse," which means you drink too much and it causes problems in your life although you aren't completely dependent on alcohol. If you have alcoholism or you abuse alcohol, you may not be able to cut back or quit without help. A number of approaches are available to help you recover from alcoholism, including medications, counseling and self-help groups.

~

American Medical Association (AMA)

H-95.983 Drug Dependencies as Diseases
The AMA
1. endorses the proposition that drug dependencies, including alcoholism, are diseases and that their treatment is a
legitimate part of medical practice, and
2. encourages physicians, other health professionals, medical and other health related organizations, and
government and other policymakers to become more well informed about drug dependencies, and to base their
policies and activities on the recognition that drug dependencies are, in fact, diseases. (Res. 113, A-87)
H-30.997

Dual Disease Classification of Alcoholism
The AMA reaffirms its policy endorsing the dual classification of alcoholism under both the psychiatric and medical
sections of the International Classification of Diseases. (Res. 22, I-79; Reaffirmed: CLRPD Rep. B, I-89; Reaffirmed

~

In 1956, the American Medical Association (AMA) stated alcoholism was a disease, as it met the five criteria needed in order to be considered a disease: pattern of symptoms, chronic, progression, subject to relapse, and treatability.

~

Bill Wilson stated: “Henrietta [Dotson, wife of A.A. Number Three], the Lord has been so wonderful to me, curing me of this terrible disease that I just want to keep talking about it and telling people.” Alcoholics Anonymous

~

What do I think? I think it is a disease.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm with Dee on this one. I don't think it matters much what you call it, as long as you do something about it.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Does it really matter? I could call myself many things but the truth was when I said to myself that when I drink....I don't like who I am that I began to look for help to change and live without it since I really did like me underneath.....I just needed to stop beating myself with a brick for past issues.

Spent too many years spinning wheels looking for an answer when all I had to do was stop doing what was turning me into the person I loathed and learn how to live without it that my life became worth living again.

Just my thoughts
Old 02-09-2011, 04:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

An addiction with dire consequences.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm going to call it all of the above plus I can think of some pretty colorful words for it that would get me banned from the forum if I posted them. Whatever we want to call it I hate it...I actually feel hatred towards it, it robbed me of so many things in my life.